Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I cant find any similarities. And for differences I think its that the lock and key theory states that simply because the substrate and active site are complementary this creates the enzyme complex. The induced fit theory says that atcive site changes shape after collisions. This is where im confused- is the enzyme complex still created if the active site hasnt changed shape in the induced theory? Also does the induced fit theory still say that both active site and substrate are complementary???
ChoccyPhilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah the ESC still occurs as the substrate kind of squeezes into the active site. I'm not entirely sure if they're "complimentary" but I'm sure you could explain how it works If a question about it came up
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to combine both theories.
ohknow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The enzyme and substrate collide to form a substrate complex because they are complimentary shaped fit or specific (lock and key). The enzyme shape is flexible. It alters in shape to exactly fit the substrate . Bonds form between the Tertiary and Quaternary structures of the substrate and enzyme (induced theory). The substrate and enzyme are charged so they have to be attracted as well. When the enzyme product complex has formed the enzyme returns to its original shape so that more collisions can be made.

Hope it helps its quite 'babied' down because its straight from my notes so sorry.
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ohknow)
The enzyme and substrate collide to form a substrate complex because they are complimentary shaped fit or specific (lock and key). The enzyme shape is flexible. It alters in shape to exactly fit the substrate . Bonds form between the Tertiary and Quaternary structures of the substrate and enzyme (induced theory). The substrate and enzyme are charged so they have to be attracted as well. When the enzyme product complex has formed the enzyme returns to its original shape so that more collisions can be made.

Hope it helps its quite 'babied' down because its straight from my notes so sorry.
"substrate complex" on its own is irrelevant. make sure you cal it "enzyme-substrate complex".

(Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
Yeah the ESC still occurs as the substrate kind of squeezes into the active site. I'm not entirely sure if they're "complimentary" but I'm sure you could explain how it works If a question about it came up
To the two posters above, make sure you do NOT use the word "complimentary" hahah. The word you are looking for is complEmentary. Two very similar words with different meanings.

For AS, all you need to know is: One enzyme will have an active site which is complementary in shape to a specific substrate. When they collide, the substrate will fit onto the enzyme's active site, and an enzyme-substrate complex (ESC) will form. This is the lock and key theory, the induced fit theory has one major difference, which is that it suggests the enzyme, and maybe the substrate, change shape very slightly so that the substrate can fit exactly onto the enzyme's active site. It is the kinetic energy of both the enzyme and the substrate when they collide that causes the change in shape, hence the name "induced fit".

Let me know if you need any more clarification. I'm an AS Human Biology student, and I guessed you were an AS student too, apologies if not.
ChoccyPhilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow, have I really been spelling it wrong this entire time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed