ohknow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So my teachers set me a task of making notes on starch and glucose. He asked whats the difference (ones how a plant stores it and the other is how animals stores it). I know that starch is broken down into glucose. But apart from that I don't really know what to put any ideas?
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ohknow)
So my teachers set me a task of making notes on starch and glucose. He asked whats the difference (ones how a plant stores it and the other is how animals stores it). I know that starch is broken down into glucose. But apart from that I don't really know what to put any ideas?
Plants store glucose as starch because starch is insoluble, therefore storing glucose at starch means the osmotic balance within the plant is kept stable. When the plant needs to use glucose for respiration, the stored starch will be converted back into glucose.

Humans store glucose as glycogen in the muscles. Just as in plants, this is because glycogen is insoluble, so it will not affect the osmotic balance within the body. We have the hormone insulin which stimulates the conversion of glucose into glycogen, and the hormone glucagon does the opposite when we need glucose for respiration.

Starch and glucose are almost identical in structure, the only differences is that they have different shaped bonds, therefore amylase will break down starch into glycerol and fatty acids, but it will not break down glucose, because glucose has different shaped bonds to starch, so the shape of the active site of amylase does not complement that of the substrate glucose.

Hope that helps.
GlitchGamer1287
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
u a big dum dum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads