Replacement laptop battery problems already?

Watch
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Here goes...

About a month or so ago, I resolved a few of the issues that my old Packard Bell laptop had - notably overheating, and the original battery no longer taking a charge. At the time I replaced the fan, added Arctic Silver thermal paste, and got a new battery (non-OEM). The fan/overheating issues have been fixed.

However, the battery is causing a few issues... I made a thread a while back about the battery causing BSOD's, but those have long since gone. Today, I decided to run a test on the battery, to (a) calibrate the battery, and (b) see how long it would last, in terms of performance.

I noticed that, during the whole time I used the battery, the battery meter remained on a reading of "100%", and didn't drop in any way. That was, until the computer totally shut down on me, about 45 minutes after I unplugged the laptop....

I've re-booted the laptop and now the battery won't hold any charge whatsoever... it won't charge and as soon as the power cord is removed, the computer shuts down due to loss of power.

What should I do about this? Would leaving the laptop/battery overnight, to cool it down, work? Is there any other way I can get the battery to hold a charge? Or is it totally flat as a pancake, and I need to go back on eBay to get another (hopefully better!) battery?

Thanks for any help!
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Here goes...

About a month or so ago, I resolved a few of the issues that my old Packard Bell laptop had - notably overheating, and the original battery no longer taking a charge. At the time I replaced the fan, added Arctic Silver thermal paste, and got a new battery (non-OEM). The fan/overheating issues have been fixed.

However, the battery is causing a few issues... I made a thread a while back about the battery causing BSOD's, but those have long since gone. Today, I decided to run a test on the battery, to (a) calibrate the battery, and (b) see how long it would last, in terms of performance.

I noticed that, during the whole time I used the battery, the battery meter remained on a reading of "100%", and didn't drop in any way. That was, until the computer totally shut down on me, about 45 minutes after I unplugged the laptop....

I've re-booted the laptop and now the battery won't hold any charge whatsoever... it won't charge and as soon as the power cord is removed, the computer shuts down due to loss of power.

What should I do about this? Would leaving the laptop/battery overnight, to cool it down, work? Is there any other way I can get the battery to hold a charge? Or is it totally flat as a pancake, and I need to go back on eBay to get another (hopefully better!) battery?

Thanks for any help!
How old is old? If it's a few years old it might be a better idea to buy a new machine instead of sinking more money into an old one which you'll chuck out soon anyway.

I'd also be weary of getting a laptop battery off eBay as there's all sorts of third party junk on there, that won't be as good as one made by Packard Bell.
spotify95
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
How old is old? If it's a few years old it might be a better idea to buy a new machine instead of sinking more money into an old one which you'll chuck out soon anyway.

I'd also be weary of getting a laptop battery off eBay as there's all sorts of third party junk on there, that won't be as good as one made by Packard Bell.
I can't find any genuine Packard Bell batteries around. Though that's probably because the laptop in question still has windows XP on it.

I intend on keeping the laptop for as long as possible, because some of my games that I have are designed for the windows 95 era, and hence won't play on windows 7. They will, however, run on windows xp!

Most things I have bought from eBay have been good in the past; I would have bought a genuine battery but they don't seem to be around.

What I did try, was to put the laptop on standby for a half hour, in order to try and cool down the battery. Afterwards, I unplugged the laptop (to shut it down) and re-booted it. Now it's on 5% and charging....

I'll see what happens in the morning. It might be a dud battery, because when playing the same game on my modern Acer Aspire (windows 7), this issue didn't occur, and the battery on that is still over 50% capacity at 3.5 years old. But it might have fixed itself?
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't find any genuine Packard Bell batteries around. Though that's probably because the laptop in question still has windows XP on it.

I intend on keeping the laptop for as long as possible, because some of my games that I have are designed for the windows 95 era, and hence won't play on windows 7. They will, however, run on windows xp!

Most things I have bought from eBay have been good in the past; I would have bought a genuine battery but they don't seem to be around.

What I did try, was to put the laptop on standby for a half hour, in order to try and cool down the battery. Afterwards, I unplugged the laptop (to shut it down) and re-booted it. Now it's on 5% and charging....

I'll see what happens in the morning. It might be a dud battery, because when playing the same game on my modern Acer Aspire (windows 7), this issue didn't occur, and the battery on that is still over 50% capacity at 3.5 years old. But it might have fixed itself?
Ah, right, I see. Your computer is ancient, I think it might be a struggle to find parts for it, genuine or not. In fact, do Packard Bell even exist these days? :lol:

I suppose if it works when plugged it that's probably going to be the best you can do, even if you were to get your hands on a compatible battery it would almost certainly be several years old and of little use.
spotify95
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Ah, right, I see. Your computer is ancient, I think it might be a struggle to find parts for it, genuine or not. In fact, do Packard Bell even exist these days? :lol:

I suppose if it works when plugged it that's probably going to be the best you can do, even if you were to get your hands on a compatible battery it would almost certainly be several years old and of little use.
Yeah the laptop is about 7 years old, so chances are the parts are now becoming a rarity... I did manage to find a replacement fan for the laptop a while back, so that I could cure the overheating issue - and so far that is okay

I had a look and Packard Bell are now a subsidiary of Acer...

They do make new batteries on eBay but they are non OEM, just general batteries that fit the laptop in question. But luckily the battery now takes a charge
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here goes...

Thanks for any help!
I'm not surprised....these non-oem versions are usually knock off versions which aren't as great as the original. It's something that's generally accepted when buying such batteries to be fair.
spotify95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
I'm not surprised....these non-oem versions are usually knock off versions which aren't as great as the original. It's something that's generally accepted when buying such batteries to be fair.
Well... it's now jumped from 14% up to 100%! So chances are, even when I got the battery, it wasn't fully charged!

I personally would have bought a genuine PB battery - only that PB won't do batteries for 7 year old laptops, and the genuine PB battery won't hold a charge...

Only way to get this properly sorted will be to drain the battery again, fully, to calibrate the battery meter - and then finally see what the battery will do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.73%

Watched Threads