Boys, do you really treat your female friends the same as "one of the guys"?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So there's a guy that I have quite a crush on, and I've noticed he's pretty friendly and affectionate with me - but he acts pretty similarly with his close guy friends. Does this mean I really am just "one of the guys" or could it mean something else? (also he's generally pretty shy and we've only gotten to know each other recently, he's not really like that with most people and I'd say we clicked pretty fast)

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, for straight boys, does the way you treat your female friends mean something different even if you act the same way with your male buddies? Or does he really just see me as "one of the boys"?

(if you're at all interested in my situation and want to help me out, by affectionate I mean hugs, lots of pally touches, head on shoulder etc. and small little point he has a girlfriend but leaving that aside for now....!)
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure I'd say I treat them like "one of the guys", but I treat my male and female friends the same.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
depends
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
There is a fine line between bear-hugging and penetration lmfao.
User1443542
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I probably don't treat them similar, only if I want them to get along, would I treat them as one of the guys
Leftee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
and small little point he has a girlfriend but
I was kind of on the fence but then i read this LITTLE detail and now i'm pretty sure he isn't flirting.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, I generally tend to verbally abuse my male friends, but wouldn't dare to my female friends out of a sense of courtesy/not wanting to be labelled sexist.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
AManWithAPlan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I treat my female friends more carefully and accordingly, whereas with my male friends, I can say whatever and pretty much get away with it. You females are delicate entities. One wrong move and you're screwed for life. Haha. It's really dependent on the female too. But all in all, I think there's a clear distinction from how I act when I'm with "the boys", and how I am when I hang out with "the girls".

If she could run through the 6 with her woes though... She's definitely being treated as "one of the boys". Just because.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
small little point he has a girlfriend but leaving that aside for now....!)
That is not a small point. If he has a girlfriend, don't get involved. Don't be that girl.
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably not. Most of my friends are female for some reason.
LTG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by keromedic)
Probably not. Most of my friends are female for some reason.
Do you give them fashion advice and help them with their shopping as well?
MilitantMindset
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.

A girl cannot and will not ever be one of the guys - can't stand girls who try to pull that shtick
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MilitantMindset)
No.

A girl cannot and will not ever be one of the guys - can't stand girls who try to pull that shtick
Pretty much.

Would any group of women treat a (non-gay) male friend as "one of the girls"? That just isnt how these things work in practice, there is usually some degree of healthy sexual tension in most male-female friendships, and even when there isnt, the dynamics are usually different to same-sex friendships.. Men and women are not the same - the conversational styles are different, the body language is different, the power dynamics are different, etc etc etc.
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[deleted]
littlewurmple
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
No, I generally tend to verbally abuse my male friends, but wouldn't dare to my female friends out of a sense of courtesy/not wanting to be labelled sexist.
What a terrible thing feminism has done to the male-female social dynamic. To a point where men worry that anything they might say will be offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
I'll take anything society throws at me. I'm no conformist :top2:
cmurray90602
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it depends, as a sport student our group of friends is mostly male with the exception of 4 females. I personally wouldn't ever want anything to happen with one of the guys as I don't see them that way.

In response to your question the guys act the same with us as they do with each other. Maybe just depends on the group?

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol having femal friends = friendzone
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by poohat)
Pretty much.

Would any group of women treat a (non-gay) male friend as "one of the girls"? That just isnt how these things work in practice, there is usually some degree of healthy sexual tension in most male-female friendships, and even when there isnt, the dynamics are usually different to same-sex friendships.. Men and women are not the same - the conversational styles are different, the body language is different, the power dynamics are different, etc etc etc.
Yep, I do. I have a really good male friend and I basically see him as 'one of the girls'. I tell him all of my guy-related problems, dissect messages I get from crushes with him, etc. etc. It's rare, but not non-existent.
However, that being said OP, he has a girlfriend. No point in going there really.

(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
lol having femal friends = friendzone
Please grow up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads