The Student Room Group

Boys, can you really treat a female friend as "one of the guys"?

So I'm wondering... this guy is friendly and affectionate with his close male friends - hugs, touches, all that, quite sweet. We've only been friends quite recently but he treats me the same way pretty much. (he's quite shy generally btw, not like this with everyone)

What I'm getting at is - can you really treat your female friends in the exact same way as your male buddies or does it mean something else? Am I "one of the guys" already or should I take the affection to mean something?

edit: not trying to be one of the lads, if anything I don't want to be.. I like him :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
If I do not find them attractive, yes.
No. And I really dislike girls that try to be "one of the lads".
Don't take the way he executes his behaviour to heart; guys like us do show admiration towards our female friends in platonic manners. We're guys OP. It's in our nature (my genes specifically) to do this.
If I was in his position, I would only consider the affection conducted is simply PLATONIC only. No more than that. Although there can be a potential chance that he may admire you more than a friend.
Get in OP! (just kidding. Enjoy). :wink:
Original post by lionharted
So I'm wondering... this guy is friendly and affectionate with his close male friends - hugs, touches, all that, quite sweet. We've only been friends quite recently but he treats me the same way pretty much. (he's quite shy generally btw, not like this with everyone)

What I'm getting at is - can you really treat your female friends in the exact same way as your male buddies or does it mean something else? Am I "one of the guys" already or should I take the affection to mean something?

edit: not trying to be one of the lads, if anything I don't want to be.. I like him :tongue:

I think he loves you.
Reply 5
He's testing how deep/shallow the water is aka if you have a backbone,if you will crack.If your a pushover. Guys like playing awkward mind games to see if your compatible. If you are then he will go deep inside and leave the nuts hanging out. :borat:
Reply 6
Original post by 061194
He's testing how deep/shallow the water is aka if you have a backbone,if you will crack.If your a pushover. Guys like playing awkward mind games to see if your compatible. If you are then he will go deep inside and leave the nuts hanging out. :borat:

'deep inside and leave the nuts hanging out' hahahahahahahahahaha
Original post by 061194

All you'll see is two nuts outside them shuga walls
Reply 8
Original post by donutellme
All you'll see is two nuts outside them shuga walls

Bustin all kinds of nuts on her face :dance:
I treated my Shop Friend like a female friend so I guess it can work both ways?
i'd say yes as i have a number of female friends who act like the lads they drink the same as us in the bar and prefer men's stuff aftershave, cars and mens watches (i should know i sold most of them)
Reply 11
Pretty much, unless you fancy the pants of them. From what you describe I would try to escalate the physical side after a modest intake of alcohol and see what happens:tongue:
I treat all my friends the same way so ye easily lol.
Original post by 061194
Bustin all kinds of nuts on her face :dance:

allllllllllllllllll KINDS of nut :lol:
Original post by SarcasticMel

i dislike boys that try to be 'one of the lads' too
Reply 15

Why?!

To the original question - I have some really close guy friends, and I'd say that apart from being protective of me (in a nice way) they treat me the same as the "lads".
Original post by surf98
Why?!

To the original question - I have some really close guy friends, and I'd say that apart from being protective of me (in a nice way) they treat me the same as the "lads".

Because a) I don't even like boys who think they are a "lad" and b) girls are girls, why should they act like a guy?
Because a) I don't even like boys who think they are a "lad" and b) girls are girls, why should they act like a guy?

My best friends are guys and I don't act any differently around them as I do around girls? So I'm not acting "like a guy"? You appear to be perpetuating male and female stereotypes - that people have to act a certain way in order to fit the gender they identify with.
Original post by Anonymous
My best friends are guys and I don't act any differently around them as I do around girls? So I'm not acting "like a guy"? You appear to be perpetuating male and female stereotypes - that people have to act a certain way in order to fit the gender they identify with.

But then you aren't acting like a lad. I don't see a problem then. But I know girls who do, which is why I said what I said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending