ahmed9021
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm doing engineering with foundation year and know nottingham uni is much better then brunel uni in ranking. But i really liked brunel campus much better and its london. nottingham is also really far from home so, i could basically never come home. so do you think i should choose brunel or nottingham? and does ranking really matter?
Mathsz0r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nottingham is considerably better than Brunel - however, go wherever you feel you will thrive at and do the best. A 1st from Brunel is far better than a 2.2 at Nottingham.
Computer Geek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathsz0r)
Nottingham is considerably better than Brunel - however, go wherever you feel you will thrive at and do the best. A 1st from Brunel is far better than a 2.2 at Nottingham.
Is a 1:1 from Brunel really better than a 2:2 from Nottingham?

Explain your reasoning.
AII95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Thahleel)
Is a 1:1 from Brunel really better than a 2:2 from Nottingham?

Explain your reasoning.
Are you kidding me? A first from more or less any University is fantastic. Brunel isn't the best university ever, but it is still respectable, usually ranking within the top third of universities within the UK (granted, it took a slight dip this past year). Obviously Nottingham is an outstanding institution, but a 2.2 isn't that good, especially as most graduates obtain 2.1s from their time at university.

If you asked me what was better between getting a first-class degree from Brunel and a lower second-class degree from Nottingham, I would definitely choose the former over the latter. Can't think of too many people that would say otherwise.
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should go with the one you think you'd enjoy being at more, it's not just about ratings and rankings, you're gonna be there for 3/4years of your life, you need to be able to enjoy it and feel comfortable. If Nottingham is too far away and you think you'd want to come home often then obviously it's not suitable. Brunel isn't a bad University. I made the mistake of going to a good University based on league tables and rankings and reputation etc, but the area and University itself wasn't great for me and I ended up suffering. Whenever someone asks, I always tell them that liking the area you're in and the University you're at is MUCH better than going somewhere you're not sure about just because of it's reputation or ranking or it's a RG uni. It's not that important tbh.
ahmed9021
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
You should go with the one you think you'd enjoy being at more, it's not just about ratings and rankings, you're gonna be there for 3/4years of your life, you need to be able to enjoy it and feel comfortable. If Nottingham is too far away and you think you'd want to come home often then obviously it's not suitable. Brunel isn't a bad University. I made the mistake of going to a good University based on league tables and rankings and reputation etc, but the area and University itself wasn't great for me and I ended up suffering. Whenever someone asks, I always tell them that liking the area you're in and the University you're at is MUCH better than going somewhere you're not sure about just because of it's reputation or ranking or it's a RG uni. It's not that important tbh.
Thanks that was the best advice
Pandamojia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a dropout from Nottingham since I didn't like my course (Biochemistry). And I'm reapplying for Product Design at Brunel, since the facilities are much much better at Brunel.

I haven't actually studied in Brunel yet so I'm going to be biased towards Nottingham. The Nottingham student life/ student union is AMAZING. I'm sure Brunel's isn't bad, bad you have to consider the fact that you have to travel quite a lot to get to the bars/clubs in Brunel. At Nottingham, the bar/clubs are really close by and it's pretty cheap getting back. Although, I have heard that engineering is A LOT of work at Nottingham. Not sure about Brunel.

If you have any other questions about Nottingham, please feel free to ask me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%