How did people find Physics OCR B Paper 6?!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Woo it's all over! To be honest it feels like an anti-climax... I don't know what I expected to feel but it wasn't this...

Anyway how did people find the paper? I enjoyed it to be honest. Challenging in places but not overly hard, and I'm pretty confident about it.

Ed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Glad you are - it was well hard!
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'd agree - a mixture of a couple of easy marks, and some really challenging question. Gave a nice spectrum for analysis, more like last year's AS exams than this year's module 4 and 5.

The grays radiation question was quite hard but I got there in the end. I was having a bit of a debate over the effects of pressure, density and temperature with the balloon though. My argument was that if pressure decreases, particles get further away and so then used my same argument for density, that if ity decreases, less weight is being displaced and the forces slow the balloon down. Any suggestions?
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Guest Rob,
For the decreasing pressure, I said the volume of the envelope containing the helium would expand and in doing so would displace more air, causing the upthrust to increase.

Hmm... not sure which is right.

Ed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
er, was it only me that found that damn hard then?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wrote same as tednol, then for decrease in density = less upthrust, decrease in temp= less volume => less upthrust.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What did people write for the u shape steel?

my answer for the grays was something like 2*10^-2, seems a bit high.
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
For the U shape, I said it continued the lines of flux so the only airgap was around the rotating block, making the strength of the field better.

My grays answer was also quite high, but I think it was meant to be as the whole point was to prove how lethal it would be to put an astronaut on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
how did you do the resistivity question?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I RAN OUT OF TIME AND DIDN'T FINISH... I am really stressed coz I badly need an A in physics!!!
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
how did you do the resistivity question?
Resistance = (resistivity * length) / cross sectional area

i think.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What A2 coursework marks / AS marks did you get for Adancing Physics???
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Guest Rob
Resistance = (resistivity * length) / cross sectional area

i think.
length = 10 loops * (0.03+0.02+0.03+0.02)

which came nicely to 1.
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by elpaw
length = 10 loops * (0.03+0.02+0.03+0.02)

which came nicely to 1.
Yup, that was quite nice. I couldn't remember if l or A went on the bottom, but the 1 helped a lot.

By the way, when calculating the overall upward acceleration for the balloon, did other people subtract the downward acceleration of gravity and get about 76 ms^-2?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yup, that was quite nice. I couldn't remember if l or A went on the bottom, but the 1 helped a lot.

By the way, when calculating the overall upward acceleration for the balloon, did other people subtract the downward acceleration of gravity and get about 76 ms^-2?

Yeeeees

seems strange (its about 8G)
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by elpaw
Yeeeees

seems strange (its about 8G)
Them thar's a lot o' helium
miss_han
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
i agree, that was well hard
i kept getting a negative acceleration, then i decided taht value was too high, so i did it again
and i do double maths!
i guess all my exams have finally caught up with me, i feel like i wont even make it to school tomorrow, let alone through an entire exam!
there were too many "wordy" question for my liking, had to make up the balloon question, i said they all decreased upthrust but ii wasnt really sure
hopefully last years marks will bring this paper up to an a? maybe?
*h*
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I found it pretty wicked ... thanks for the help on what to revise to those who contributed!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'd agree - a mixture of a couple of easy marks, and some really challenging question. Gave a nice spectrum for analysis, more like last year's AS exams than this year's module 4 and 5.

The grays radiation question was quite hard but I got there in the end. I was having a bit of a debate over the effects of pressure, density and temperature with the balloon though. My argument was that if pressure decreases, particles get further away and so then used my same argument for density, that if ity decreases, less weight is being displaced and the forces slow the balloon down. Any suggestions?
i wrote that pressure is inversely proportional to volume so when pressure decreases the volume of air being displaced will increase. this will in turn result in a greater mass of air being displaced "mass = density x volume" so the up thrust is greater. i said that if density decreases the mass of air being displaced is less so the upthrust is less. since volume is directly proportional to temperature, a decrease in temp will mean the volume of air displaced is less so the upthrust is less.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads