The Student Room Group

which university is good for illustration?

Hello guys, I'm an international student studying in a senior school now, I strongly want to take illustration as my major in uni, but I'm really confused which uni is good for illustration though...cuz UK people's thought is completely different form people in my country, i feel you guys don't care the ranking at all. I wonder these five unis below which i pick up are good for illustration or not ?

the University of Edinburgh
Arts University Bournemouth
UAL
Falmouth University
University of Brighton

Could you give me some advice or comments about these unis?
Thank you so much !
Reply 1
Falmouth University is currently ranked number 1 for Illustration in the Uk.
University of modhill primary school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edinburgh is kind of an instant win compared to the other universities in terms of city life, and also in terms of name recognition Edinburgh College of Art is probably equal to Falmouth which is probably the next best. The ECA also has a really cool building which is nice. One of my friends is doing illustration and he came from Falmouth where he did his foundation. I'm obviously biased studying at Edinburgh myself, but Falmouth seems the only real competition academically, and at Edinburgh it would seem you can get that plus a lot more.
Im struggling with this as well - I applied to 4 of the above universities (the exception being UAL) and received offers from all 4, including an unconditional from Brighton.

No idea what to firm now - I think they're all on equal grounds or close enough, so I think its all down to personal preference on how you like the city and the working atmosphere of the university and how the campus is set up. E.g. Brighton Illustration course is in a huge room with the Graphic Design course, whereas the Falmouth first years are separated into two groups in different rooms to maximize contact time with professors and have more individual desk space.

I'm in the process of making a pro's and con's list between Bournemouth and Falmouth.

I personally didn't like the vibe Edinburgh gave me at the 'Applicant Day' as they didnt actually speak to me before giving me an offer, it was all based on my work and three written responses to questions they sent prior to the day. I'd have liked a more intimate talk with them to get a feel for what they were interested in with my work but i came away from it feeling as if they weren't interested in me as a person- just getting good work to build their prestigious name (understandably they get a lot of applicants- but so do Falmouth, who have an excellent system for getting through 5 students but giving each applicant the equivalent of a 25 minute interview and Bournemouth this year had about 700 applicants and still made time for me? No excuse really). A bit annoying after bothering to travel (and others would have come from much further than me). I was also on a tour with a textiles student so i couldn't ask course relevant questions to anyone but the teachers who would of course praise their course with 100% certainty. You get more honesty out of current students and can ask them questions that push negative answers to see if they have any 'ums and ah's' about the course (they're obviously not going to tell you it sucks, but they might have an honest 'this could be better').

Brighton seemed very friendly but they couldnt give me straight answers about support they could give me into getting into the industry and after looking at the other universities their set up with Graphic Design didn't seem favourable or at all my style of working. Bournemouth and Falmouth have extremely good reputations for teaching students the necessary things to 'make it' after graduation. For me its a bit of a toss up between the latter two, which I like for different reasons and am struggling to choose my firm for!

Sorry this is so long~
Reply 5
Im a falmouth student, and i can highly recommend Falmouth. Even though it's based in Cornwall (no complaints) they have very strong industry connections in London and New York. You just have to look at what recent graduates are doing to understand the high regard publishing companies, etc have for falmouth students. The campus is beautiful and set in a sub-tropical gardens and only 5 mins away from the beach. We all get our own little studio spaces to dress up how we like. Its open everyday even at weekends, unlike Brighton we are introduced to Printing techniques in our first year. We also have classes on life drawing, history and culture studies, visual studies and digital media You go to London in the first year and meet up with book publishers. In second and third years you go to Barcelona, and New York. Barcelona may change destination. The first year they are teaching us to expand our creative minds and teaching us how to really use mediums and colour. I have learnt so much of the past months I'm so pleased I picked falmouth because I doubt my other choices would have taught with such depth. We are currently book binding and illustrating a 9 page spread. We have contact time with tutors every weekday, it is intensive and you defiantly get your moneys worth. There is so much to do in Falmouth outside university, you obviously have all the water sports you can shake a stick at. The university are alway putting on parties at the student bar, and societies are always holding fun things to do. The night life is actually really good so many cute little pubs, bars and there is actually a club. Falmouth is such a friendly community also, theres always parades and events going on in the town centre. Housing is no problem either, so many student houses!!!

Quick Reply

Latest