lauren7940
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've picked all my GCSEs and I think I'm happy with them. At my school, my compulsory subjects are RS, one language (we learn two), English and Maths. My optional GCSE choices are:

Italian (compulsory language)
French (I chose to take both languages we learn)
Art
Geography
Reserve: History

Does anybody who has been through GCSEs have any advice on any of these? I was a bit stuck on whether to take Geog or History. I've chosen Geography but still could change if I wanted to.
Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I do Geography in Yr10 and it's simply a breeze. I don't do History so I can't give an opinion on it. Depending on the Exam Board Geograhy can be good and bad. When I first choose it in Yr8 and later did it at GCSE Foundation level based on the WJEC Exam Board it was horrible. The highest I ever got was a D+. The grade boundaries are really high and the topics are boring. In contrast, now in Yr10 i'm loving it the teacher's choose AQA IGCSE Exam Board and it's really, really easy. Geography tbh is just made up of case studies, drawing, labelling and explaining why. It has a real variety of subjects mixed together. It's basically, a little bit of History, Business & Economics and Sociology. Finally, in Geography there are way more trips that add to the excitement.

French, I find a little more difficult learning the words and vocab is easy. Constructing sentences is easy it's just memorising the whole paragaph and writing it in essay form that is hard. Speakings are a pain. They make you feel really nervous.

Art...unless you're into it many people regret taking it because it is time consuming.
¡Muy bien!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will you not do any sciences? Just make sure what you want to do in the future (uni or otherwise) doesn't require you to have done science.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sciences are fairly important GCSEs and are easy, so you should consider taking them.
lauren7940
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
Sciences are fairly important GCSEs and are easy, so you should consider taking them.
I forgot to mention it is compulsory at my school to take Physics, Biology and Chemistry. I'm taking double science instead of triple, which requires one of my options and is more difficult.
lauren7940
Rep:
?
(Original post by ¡Muy bien!)
Will you not do any sciences? Just make sure what you want to do in the future (uni or otherwise) doesn't require you to have done science.
I forgot to mention that the sciences are compulsory.
lauren7940
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zeetingman)
Well, I do Geography in Yr10 and it's simply a breeze. I don't do History so I can't give an opinion on it. Depending on the Exam Board Geograhy can be good and bad. When I first choose it in Yr8 and later did it at GCSE Foundation level based on the WJEC Exam Board it was horrible. The highest I ever got was a D+. The grade boundaries are really high and the topics are boring. In contrast, now in Yr10 i'm loving it the teacher's choose AQA IGCSE Exam Board and it's really, really easy. Geography tbh is just made up of case studies, drawing, labelling and explaining why. It has a real variety of subjects mixed together. It's basically, a little bit of History, Business & Economics and Sociology. Finally, in Geography there are way more trips that add to the excitement.

French, I find a little more difficult learning the words and vocab is easy. Constructing sentences is easy it's just memorising the whole paragaph and writing it in essay form that is hard. Speakings are a pain. They make you feel really nervous.

Art...unless you're into it many people regret taking it because it is time consuming.
Thanks for your input, I think I'm gonna stick with the options I've chosen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19