The Student Room Group

English & Philosophy or Law

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of studying either law or English & Philosophy at uni but I can't decide which. Please help. Obviously both of them require a fair about of extra reading in order to get into the top universities, especially Oxbridge. I also want my EPQ to tie in with the course I'm going to study so I need to decide now.

What are the pros and cons of law and English/philosophy please? Or any advice regarding choosing a uni course.

Thanks
Original post by robert.w
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of studying either law or English & Philosophy at uni but I can't decide which. Please help. Obviously both of them require a fair about of extra reading in order to get into the top universities, especially Oxbridge. I also want my EPQ to tie in with the course I'm going to study so I need to decide now.

What are the pros and cons of law and English/philosophy please? Or any advice regarding choosing a uni course.

Thanks

What do you want to do after uni? That's a major point to consider. While not all Law students go on to be lawyers (it provides skills, as well as knowledge), it does enable that path, while an English & Philosophy degree would require a conversion course before you could train to become a lawyer.

Your university degree doesn't have to tie into your ideal career, but it might help, so it's worth considering your future plans.
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
What do you want to do after uni? That's a major point to consider. While not all Law students go on to be lawyers (it provides skills, as well as knowledge), it does enable that path, while an English & Philosophy degree would require a conversion course before you could train to become a lawyer.

Your university degree doesn't have to tie into your ideal career, but it might help, so it's worth considering your future plans.

I'm not really sure. I done some law work experience and enjoyed it but I'm not fully committed. Plus, most people say a three year law degree is really dry and dull. Eng/Philo just seems a bit more interesting.
Original post by robert.w
I'm not really sure. I done some law work experience and enjoyed it but I'm not fully committed. Plus, most people say a three year law degree is really dry and dull. Eng/Philo just seems a bit more interesting.

It's probably worth choosing a degree that you'll enjoy, but it's down to personal opinion - just because "most people" don't like the law degree doesn't mean you'll also hate it. Doing law doesn't force you to become a lawyer, so your options will remain open, but they will also remain open with English & Philosophy.

It might be worth going on open days and asking specific details about the courses, and maybe even applying to unis for both - e.g. 3 unis for Law, 2 for Eng/Philo. However, you can't tailor your personal statement for individual unis, so it would be hard to write one that's suitable for both courses.
Reply 4
I'll definitely have to commit myself to one; tailoring it to two completely different course would be too difficult. I'll obviously go to some uni open days but at the moment it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do for English and philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest