The Student Room Group

HELP!

Hey, my AS exams are around the corner and i am so behind in terms of revision. I am studying AS Maths, AS Chemistry, AS Biology and AS sociology. Does anyone have any tips on what i can do to aid my revision? and HOW to revise? i literally DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING! :frown:
Reply 1
How to revise varies person to person, so nobody can tell you what to do. You will have to figure out for yourself.
That said, past papers are the best ways to check how much you understand. Do a couple of past papers, and identify your weaker topics then you can make notes or whatever to cover it up. Also you will get to see how much you have to work on time management and get used to the style of the questions.
Original post by StessedStudent
Hey, my AS exams are around the corner and i am so behind in terms of revision. I am studying AS Maths, AS Chemistry, AS Biology and AS sociology. Does anyone have any tips on what i can do to aid my revision? and HOW to revise? i literally DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING! :frown:

You're definitely not behind, you haven't even finished your AS courses yet surely? I found the best way to revise biology/chemistry was to read the text book and try the questions at the end of each section which test your knowledge. I find note taking a huge waste of time. Using biology as an example, if you read how respiration works or something, cover it up and try to do a diagram or something or describe it. Compare with what it says in the text book and try again. You'll make less mistakes each time and it doesn't take that long.
For maths, read the technique and look carefully at the worked examples. Do lots of practice questions.

With every subject, learn how to do the actual exam. Do practice papers and IMMEDIATELY after each one, mark it. Pay close attention to patterns in the Mark schemes, eg any question about osmosis you might get a mark for saying 'water travels through a membrane', one for 'down the water potential gradient', 'via osmosis'. This might not be a sufficient definition at degree level, I'm not sure, but or your exam board it might get you full marks. That's the key. It's about knowing what will get you marks and tick those boxes.

Good luck!
Original post by Wahrheit
You're definitely not behind, you haven't even finished your AS courses yet surely? I found the best way to revise biology/chemistry was to read the text book and try the questions at the end of each section which test your knowledge. I find note taking a huge waste of time. Using biology as an example, if you read how respiration works or something, cover it up and try to do a diagram or something or describe it. Compare with what it says in the text book and try again. You'll make less mistakes each time and it doesn't take that long.
For maths, read the technique and look carefully at the worked examples. Do lots of practice questions.

With every subject, learn how to do the actual exam. Do practice papers and IMMEDIATELY after each one, mark it. Pay close attention to patterns in the Mark schemes, eg any question about osmosis you might get a mark for saying 'water travels through a membrane', one for 'down the water potential gradient', 'via osmosis'. This might not be a sufficient definition at degree level, I'm not sure, but or your exam board it might get you full marks. That's the key. It's about knowing what will get you marks and tick those boxes.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help! i've got some hope now! Do you happen to have any useful resources for chemistry? i would be so grateful for any help you could give me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
How to revise varies person to person, so nobody can tell you what to do. You will have to figure out for yourself.
That said, past papers are the best ways to check how much you understand. Do a couple of past papers, and identify your weaker topics then you can make notes or whatever to cover it up. Also you will get to see how much you have to work on time management and get used to the style of the questions.

thank you very much for your help :smile: i really do appreciate it
Original post by StessedStudent
Thank you so much for your help! i've got some hope now! Do you happen to have any useful resources for chemistry? i would be so grateful for any help you could give me :smile:

Similar to Biology, I found this site very helpful http://www.chemguide.co.uk :smile:.
I found the others easier to revise for though, truth be told

Quick Reply

Latest