PLJohn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
At the moment I am trying to learn all the prepositions for my AS-Level in German, but I am having a bit of trouble remembering all of them and which case they go with.
Does anyone have any tips to help, such a mnemonics etc.?
Thanks,
John.
robert.w
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PLJohn)
At the moment I am trying to learn all the prepositions for my AS-Level in German, but I am having a bit of trouble remembering all of them and which case they go with.
Thanks,
John.
Aus, bei, nach, seit, von, zu (mit dem Dativ schreibst du). This has a good ring to it; these take the dative case

DOGWOF: durch, ohne, gegen, wider, um, für. These take the Accusative

Finally, the naughty nine, which I remember with U NAZI HUVA: Unter, Neben, An, Zwischen, In, Hinter, Über, Vor, Auf. The naughty nine can take either the accusative or the dative.

There are only a few common genitive prepositions in German: statt, während, troz, ausserhalb/innerhalb and wegen.

Hope this helps
PLJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by robert.w)
Aus, bei, nach, seit, von, zu (mit dem Dativ schreibst du). This has a good ring to it; these take the dative case

DOGWOF: durch, ohne, gegen, wider, um, für. These take the Accusative

Finally, the naughty nine, which I remember with U NAZI HUVA: Unter, Neben, An, Zwischen, In, Hinter, Über, Vor, Auf. The naughty nine can take either the accusative or the dative.

There are only a few common genitive prepositions in German: statt, während, troz, ausserhalb/innerhalb and wegen.

Hope this helps
Thank you very much! This is excellent.
John.
Examstuffxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PLJohn)
Thanks,
John.
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. But as I assume that you are studying german for a level, I thought maybe you could answer some of my questions? I am studying german outside of school, so although I don't have to sit the exam this year, I wan't to. I'm also doing wjec as the exam board. I just wanted to ask, what do you use as means of revision? How do you learn vocab, and where do you get the lists from? I am struggling at the moment, so any tips would be great. Thanks a lot!

Thanks in advance
L
robert.w
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Examstuffxoxo)
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. But as I assume that you are studying german for a level, I thought maybe you could answer some of my questions? I am studying german outside of school, so although I don't have to sit the exam this year, I wan't to. I'm also doing wjec as the exam board. I just wanted to ask, what do you use as means of revision? How do you learn vocab, and where do you get the lists from? I am struggling at the moment, so any tips would be great. Thanks a lot!

Thanks in advance
L
I'm doing AQA AS German at the moment. We rely predominantly on vocab given to us by teachers and the AQA textbook, but the textbook "Wört für Wört" has really good A level words in it. In terms of revision, I find essay planning and learning vocab to be the most helpful, along with past papers.
Examstuffxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by robert.w)
I'm doing AQA AS German at the moment. We rely predominantly on vocab given to us by teachers and the AQA textbook, but the textbook "Wört für Wört" has really good A level words in it. In terms of revision, I find essay planning and learning vocab to be the most helpful, along with past papers.
Sorry I inboxed you asking a question before seeing this reply. Thanks!
My teacher cannot give me vocab lists because it is his first year teaching. Are there any lists on the internet somewhere?
PLJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Examstuffxoxo)
Sorry I inboxed you asking a question before seeing this reply. Thanks!
My teacher cannot give me vocab lists because it is his first year teaching. Are there any lists on the internet somewhere?
I don't actually have a vocab list either, but one of my teachers is native German so we have a vocab book in which we write any new vocab from the textbook down and any idioms our teacher tells us that native Germans use. (but we have very few).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise