Ssara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im from sweden and just came to england for 3 months ago, i just realised that i wont be able to become a doctor if i dont get straight As on certain subjects in GCSEs. Can anyone give me some ideas on how i should start I mean like some good sites, books, places and so on?
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The school should provide you the details.
Ssara
Rep:
?
well, i actuall expected that they would help me with it but they keep telling me to just listen in the lesson, and my headteacher literally told me to give up on trying to be a doctor, because it is too late. If a teacher said that in Sweden they would be in custody...
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are so many idiotic people like that, if I was there I would of kicked off and got suspended

As the school is being a **** here what to do...

1) Look on doctor requirements which is..

GCSE(or IGCSE)
A/A* in English and Maths
A* in Biology
A in Chemistry/Physics
(optional but I'll advise to do for extra GCSEs)
A in ICT

That will be 6 GCSEs at A-A* that will get you into A-Levels.

AAA/A*A*A is the usual, TOP UNIVERSITIES I RECOMMEND GOING TO, so... aim for A*A*A*

[NOTE; TOP UNIVERSITIES LIKE 4 AS-LEVELS AND 3 A-LEVELS SO HERE IS MY ADVISE]

A-Level
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
ICT/English?

Then you look for a medicine degree for university, scholarships blah blah blah...

If you are in year 11 or what not, do a home study for Biology/Chemistry/Physics/ICT which can be done in Wolsey Hall Oxford, they are a experienced homeschool, A-Levels are everywhere in colleges to sixth forms, get those A*s and they will accept you easily ;P

Hope this helps ^^
panda14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ssara)
well, i actuall expected that they would help me with it but they keep telling me to just listen in the lesson, and my headteacher literally told me to give up on trying to be a doctor, because it is too late. If a teacher said that in Sweden they would be in custody...
NEVER EVER listen to this rubbish.
Maths, english language and the sciences are the ones you need good grades in, but you must really try hard to get as many good grades as you can.

TSR is full of great resources, but I'd recommend any revision guides by CGP for mostly all subjects. My suggestion on strategy, Do LOADS of past papers, mark them, revise what you did wrong then do them again to check you learnt it.

I hope this helps, as I said don't listen to people who say you can't do it, hear them and then show them that you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by panda14)
NEVER EVER listen to this rubbish.
Maths, english language and the sciences are the ones you need good grades in, but you must really try hard to get as many good grades as you can.

TSR is full of great resources, but I'd recommend any revision guides by CGP for mostly all subjects. My suggestion on strategy, Do LOADS of past papers, mark them, revise what you did wrong then do them again to check you learnt it.

I hope this helps, as I said don't listen to people who say you can't do it, hear them and then show them that you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read what he said and maybe answer what he asked?
Ssara
Rep:
?
Thank you , it does help , I thought that everyone here in England was like that, but you showed me wrong
Ssara
Rep:
?
But is there some sites online that are free that can help me with my GCSEs, im in 10th grade?
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah, just a few aargorant *******s that are, the thing about Britain is this..

You have so many opportunities, never limited.
An adult can even become a doctor after homeschooling.
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ssara)
But is there some sites online that are free that can help me with my GCSEs, im in 10th grade?
bbc bitesize
Ssara
Rep:
?
Thanks
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
np
panda14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckfeister)
Read what he said and maybe answer what he asked?
Ok so admittedly I went on a bit, but CGP are a good place to start, plus youtube videos, memrise and quizlet. Strategy in learning/revision is important hence the past papers comment.

I've had people tell me I'm not going to be good enough for medicine - I get a bit sentimental about it happening to other people, so sorry if I came across badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by panda14)
Ok so admittedly I wet on a bit, but CGP are a good place to start, plus youtube videos, memrise and quizlet. Strategy in learning/revision is important hence the past papers comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read again e.e
panda14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read again e.e
You've lost me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He asked what GCSE must he do.
panda14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He asked what GCSE must he do.
Oh Ok, I read it as asking for sources and advice on revision etc? To be honest GCSEs aren't the be all and end all anyway, the only ones which are essential are the ones I mentioned (English, maths and the sciences). It's all in numbers for medical school assuming you go on to take A2 (or whatever it's called from next year) Chemistry and Biology, apart from a couple of places where there are special requirements, eg UCL ask for a C or above in an MFL at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads