Audiology: which university is more recommended?

Watch
bibliboo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm wondering for Audiology, which course is better (or perhaps has better career prospects etc) at the moment I'm aware that Southampton is top and Leeds is something like second place . what about other unis? What are the pros and cons? I hear Manchester for example gives placements in NHS and private sector while Leeds it's only NHS placements. Anyone know anything else?

It would be interesting to hear graduates and existing students as well as students to be.

Discuss away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ayeeel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bibliboo)
I'm wondering for Audiology, which course is better (or perhaps has better career prospects etc) at the moment I'm aware that Southampton is top and Leeds is something like second place . what about other unis? What are the pros and cons? I hear Manchester for example gives placements in NHS and private sector while Leeds it's only NHS placements. Anyone know anything else?

It would be interesting to hear graduates and existing students as well as students to be.

Discuss away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a look at one of the independent sites that compares courses.

Try this one specifically for Audiology:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...nd&s=Audiology

The Times and The Guardian also have league tables that you can browse through.
Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Discuss away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ayeeel)
Have a look at one of the independent sites that compares courses.

Try this one specifically for Audiology:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...nd&s=Audiology

The Times and The Guardian also have league tables that you can browse through.
which unis have you guys chosen as your firm
ayeeel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Audiology-Med)
which unis have you guys chosen as your firm
I've had one offer, two rejections and am waiting for 2 more decisions (I have an interview in April), so am not there yet. Hesitant to put more on here until I have got further.

You?
bibliboo
Rep:
?
Manchester and Leeds for me, but I don't want to say which is firm and which is insurance though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bibliboo
Rep:
?
The fact that Leeds only have placements in Audiology, compared to, say Manchester, which also gives placements in the private sector, would that be a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ayeeel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact that Leeds only have placements in Audiology, compared to, say Manchester, which also gives placements in the private sector, would that be a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on what you want to do. As I understand it, the course is really aimed at working in the NHS, although you can of course choose to work privately afterwards, so I think the NHS placements are by far the most important thing, and probably seen as the gold standard (that is just my opinion as someone who hasn't started the course yet!). If you plan to work privately, I don't think you need to do the 3 year NHS-focussed degree - some private providers will train you.

From my point of view, I am not interested is placements in the private sector, although if you were to have them, I guess it would show you more how that side of things works.

I had an interview for Audiology at one of the unis this week and the first part of it was making very clear to all applicants that the course was aimed at the NHS and that anyone who wouldn't be able to work in the NHS for any reason wouldn't get a place on the course, and that anyone whose attitude wasn't correct for the NHS (e.g. rude to staff down the salary scale whilst sucking up to senior staff, or any hint of lack of patient confidentiality) would be disciplined and probably chucked off the course.
bibliboo
Rep:
?
Thanks that's quite interesting. I'm more interested in working for the NHS. But was wondering if, going down the line there may be cutbacks to Audiology and therefore maybe forced to work in the private sector.

I didn't realise that audiologists are also trained by the private sector.
ayeeel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks that's quite interesting. I'm more interested in working for the NHS. But was wondering if, going down the line there may be cutbacks to Audiology and therefore maybe forced to work in the private sector.

I didn't realise that audiologists are also trained by the private sector.
I have a friend who was trained by one of the larger private companies. I believe he is a Hearing Aid Dispenser, rather than an Audiologist. The training was a lot shorter (maybe one year? 6 months??) and I think that the company paid for all of it. He wouldn't be able to work in the NHS without further qualifications.

None of us know what the future of Audiology will be under the NHS in the future: it could continue to be mainly at NHS hospitals, there could be more private companies contracted to the NHS under Any Qualified Provider (AQP) or things could go the way of eyesight checks and be almost exclusively carried out privately.

I did ask a question at one of the open days about what would happen if things went the way of AQP and what qualifications would an Audiologist need to have; I was told that any Audiologist working for an AQP provider would need the proper NHS Audiology qualifications. I'm not sure how to check if this really is the case though.

Of course after the election in a month who know what changes are ahead?
bibliboo
Rep:
?
Ah yeah opticians do that for dispensers as well. I think they have to carry on working with that company for a certain number of years or something.

I think experience within the NHS would still be good on the cv even if we had to apply for a private Audiology company.
ayeeel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah yeah opticians do that for dispensers as well. I think they have to carry on working with that company for a certain number of years or something.

I think experience within the NHS would still be good on the cv even if we had to apply for a private Audiology company.
Yup, definitely think so.
JenetteJojo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ayeeel)
I've had one offer, two rejections and am waiting for 2 more decisions (I have an interview in April), so am not there yet. Hesitant to put more on here until I have got further.

You?
Hey
Is anyone put Leeds as their Firm for Audiology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.47%
No one else does (73)
32.88%
I'm embarrassed about my background (22)
9.91%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (74)
33.33%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.35%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads