Guys on TSR with sigs objectifying women. Watch

Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I didn't know where to put this so I'll try here since it appears to be the random/general area on this website.

I have been noticing a fair-share of male users with sigs that are sexualising young women and it made me feel uncomfortable because the image these women are conveying is largely unobtainable by the everyday girl.

I made this thread to ask other girls what their thoughts were and if it even bothered them.
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys...)
I didn't know where to put this so I'll try here since it appears to be the random/general area on this website.

I have been noticing a fair-share of male users with sigs that are sexualising young women and it made me feel uncomfortable because the image these women are conveying is largely unobtainable by the everyday girl.

I made this thread to ask other girls what their thoughts were and if it even bothered them.
I agree, especially when they talk about women using marriage as a way to stay financially secure and then leaving them which is completely untrue. Every male on this now is just going to claim that your a feminist as usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have been noticing a fair-share of male users with sigs that are sexualising young women
Do you have any examples?

and it made me feel uncomfortable because the image these women are conveying is largely unobtainable by the everyday girl.
This is a common line with feminists and it sounds more ridiculous every time I encounter it. What is it really saying?

What it's saying is that the person is so self-absorbed that they want people not to publish media of more attractive women because it makes them feel envious and insecure. It's a pathetic attitude.
Leftee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it made me feel uncomfortable because the image these women are conveying is largely unobtainable by the everyday girl.
This smells like bait to me.
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Do you have any examples?
One example off the top of my head is one user with a sig of a "cute" blonde girl in a Santa hat sporting visibly enhanced breasts and a nose job.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One example off the top of my head is one user with a sig of a "cute" blonde girl in a Santa hat sporting visibly enhanced breasts and a nose job.
I refer you to the second part of my first post. You can't expect the rest of the world to modify their actions to cater to individual self-esteem issues.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look down at my sig.

U mad?
Daenerys...
Rep:
?

This is a common line with feminists and it sounds more ridiculous every time I encounter it. What is it really saying?

What it's saying is that the person is so self-absorbed that they want people not to publish media of more attractive women because it makes them feel envious and insecure. It's a pathetic attitude.
I don't understand why you're attacking me for how I feel and I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth. I am not envious, perhaps insecure but not for the reasons your post implicates. I'm sure I'm not the only Human in history to have been made to feel less desirable by a more attractive person, it's not a crime and you don't need to make me feel worse for it.

These women are not attractive naturally they boast a body image that is unattainable outside of a doctor's surgery. Their body image promotes an unhealthy lifestyle and I feel that guys using them in their sigs just further perpetuates this especially to the younger female audience that is present on this learning website.

Please stop preventing girls/women from voicing their concerns...
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So you're complaining that other users have signatures containing girls you are jealous of?

In that case, I think it's disgusting how TSR members often have signatures containing their GCSE or A-level grades, since these grades are often unobtainable to the average person.
_Charlotte15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's only one user though to be fair, that may not be the shared view of all males.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand why you're attacking me for how I feel and I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth. I am not envious, perhaps insecure but not for the reasons your post implicates. I'm sure I'm not the only Human in history to have been made to feel less desirable by a more attractive person, it's not a crime and you don't need to make me feel worse for it.

These women are not attractive naturally they boast a body image that is unattainable outside of a doctor's surgery. Their body image promotes an unhealthy lifestyle and I feel that guys using them in their sigs just further perpetuates this especially to the younger female audience that is present on this learning website.
All I've done is to point out that your personal views on this lifestyle is not a convincing reason to blot these images out. I would hope that this 'younger female audience' is not so lacking in character that they feel the need to become like the women some men like, but that's their decision to make and simply sharing images of these women isn't something you can reasonably be opposed to on the grounds that some of them may consequently be influenced into a lifestyle choice that you personally disagree with.

It's not a crime to be made to feel inferior by more attractive people, but it is quite pathetic to complain that people put images of these people on the internet because they make you feel inferior.

Please stop preventing girls/women from voicing their concerns...
I'm not preventing anyone from voicing their concerns. I'm pointing out why these concerns aren't valid reason for preventing people from sharing media.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How is sharing an image of this woman 'objectifying' anyone?
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
So you're complaining that other users have signatures containing girls you are jealous of?

In that case, I think it's disgusting how TSR members often have signatures containing their GCSE or A-level grades, since these grades are often unobtainable to the average person.

This silencing tactic to call women jealous whenever they discuss female sexualisation and objectification is not going to work on me. As I have said in the post above yours I am not jealous merely concerned of the body image that is popular with men and young males on this board.
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Charlotte15)
That's only one user though to be fair, that may not be the shared view of all males.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Charlotte you need to show solidarity and not flail at the earliest sign of opposition from misogynistic individuals. You even agreed that the issue in my OP was concerning in your initial post. And to clarify I didn't say it was all males and the user I mentioned was just an example.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh my lord, some men find women attractive and want to share this? Absolutely shocking and scandalous.

Red alert: ban every image of an 'attractive' girl posted on TSR because it's an unfair body standard ~whine~.
Melancholy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

_Charlotte15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Charlotte you need to show solidarity and not flail at the earliest sign of opposition from misogynistic individuals. You even agreed that the issue in my OP was concerning in your initial post. And to clarify I didn't say it was all males and the user I mentioned was just an example.
I'm not flailing I'm just showing two opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leftee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it made me feel uncomfortable because the image these women are conveying is largely unobtainable by the everyday girl
I don't understand why you're attacking me
Please stop preventing girls/women from voicing their concerns
This silencing tactic to call women jealous
jesus christ.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh my signature has a video of me displaying strength out of reach of most TSR male users, especially dat car deadlift, and they're not complaining...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
How is sharing an image of this woman 'objectifying' anyone?

It's not just this user and it's no different to seeing pictures of girls in magazines in demeaning and compromising poses. But to answer your question the image is drawing emphasis on her breasts and the "cute" factor carried by the sexy santa hat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (157)
60.62%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.25%
No- I want it (73)
28.19%
No- I don't want it (18)
6.95%

Watched Threads