The Student Room Group

Which is more important to you: money or happiness?

People say that the two go hand in hand...but I'm beginning to think it's not true.

Some friends of mine are spending the best years of their life doing terribly boring jobs, 12 hours a day, every single day of the year, just so they can get a 6 figure salary in their twenties.

These same people could easily have done something like me and earnt 40-50% of the salary but had an engaging and fulfilling job with quite a lot of time off to spend with the people I love.

This is true for people at all levels...you can actively choose more money and compromise on your life. What's the point?

Scroll to see replies

What's the point in having money if it can't buy you happiness?
Original post by Legilimency
What's the point in having money if it can't buy you happiness?

Exactly ! I don't think money can buy you happiness...
Happiness of course:biggrin:, to be honest there's nothing I really want to purchase anyway.
Original post by Adipoptosis
Exactly ! I don't think money can buy you happiness...

I think it can, to some extent, but generelly money is very overrated, unfortunately.
Money, because money can buy things that make me happy.
Money is important and good, but happiness even more so. I'd rather choose happiness. :smile:
Neither, time is most important to me. Time to do things,see things, make things and be things lol but seriously time is most important, before you know it time runs out and you didn't read that one book, or visit that one place that you always wanted to see,or meet that one new friend or move house or whatever because you were always "too busy" :frown:
The whole point of people wanting money in the first place is so that they can buy things with it and have lots of luxuries which they seem to believe will make them happy. So happiness seems to be the ultimate goal and therefore I'd choose happiness over money by a mile. Obviously, a certain amount of money is necessary and it is nice to have some luxuries every now and then, but for me, the whole spend, spend, spend attitude won't lead to a fulfilling life.
Reply 9
There's people with truckloads of money who still aren't happy, but some of the truly happiest people I've ever met live pretty modestly with no apparent worries about money.

I'd pick happiness. Every time.
Both are important, they are both non-existent without the other.
defo happiness. I hardly spend money on anything apart from games lol.
Reply 12
happiness.
Reply 13
If it don't make money, it's don't make sense

Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu
Money, because money can buy things that make me happy.

Temporary happiness.
Happiness
Reply 15
True happiness cannot be bought. But then, I'm sure people who have to choose between being able to pay their rent on time and feeding themselves that week would say differently. unfortunately in the world we live in today you cannot really accomplish much without having access to money. But personally, Give me a tiny apartment and a low paying job that I absolutely love over a well paying job that sucks the life out of me any day.
Happiness. Although currently, I need money to make me happy as it will buy me necessities which will make me happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Money is happiness. Happiness is money.
Happiness but if you're so poor that happiness is unachievable then...
Original post by ChickenMadness
defo happiness. I hardly spend money on anything apart from games lol.

This, all about this.

Quick Reply

Latest