The Student Room Group

Further Maths questions..

I was wondering is it possible to do an AS-Level in Further Maths from a different exam board to that you are doing your A-Level Maths with.

I will be doing my A-Level Maths with CCEA but was considering self-teaching AS Further Maths. However, there are very little (from what i can see, none) resources for the course so was considering doing it with Edexcel instead.
Ill be doing C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 & S1 with CCEA

Is this possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see why that would be an issue as long as you do separate units for your further maths a-level. I suggest speaking to your school about it, as they will have to order the exams in especially for you if they don't teach them.
Original post by ozmo19
I was wondering is it possible to do an AS-Level in Further Maths from a different exam board to that you are doing your A-Level Maths with.

I will be doing my A-Level Maths with CCEA but was considering self-teaching AS Further Maths. However, there are very little (from what i can see, none) resources for the course so was considering doing it with Edexcel instead.
Ill be doing C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 & S1 with CCEA

Is this possible?

You will need to contact Edexcel to check
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
You will need to contact Edexcel to check

Also, what's the difference between further maths and OCR (MEI) further maths?
Which have the best books or resources available as well?
Original post by ozmo19
Also, what's the difference between further maths and OCR (MEI) further maths?
Which have the best books or resources available as well?

I have no knowledge of OCR (MEI) FM

For Edexcel or AQA the board recommended books are a good start
Sorry, this is off topic, but is it possible to do additional further maths with a different board to maths and further maths? My board (AQA) doesn't offer additional further maths and if I don't get into uni this year I'd want to take additional further maths with Edexcel and statistics with AQA. 4A*s in maths should help me get a place.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
Sorry, this is off topic, but is it possible to do additional further maths with a different board to maths and further maths? My board (AQA) doesn't offer additional further maths and if I don't get into uni this year I'd want to take additional further maths with Edexcel and statistics with AQA. 4A*s in maths should help me get a place.

This is pretty much what I'm trying to find out. I would email the exam board, i have emailed edexcel regarding the same situation with further maths just waiting for a reply. Your further maths AS UMS - wow...
What resources did you use for it if i might ask including D1 and FP1.. books, videos, etc? I want to self-teaching AS level alongside my other 4.
Original post by ozmo19
This is pretty much what I'm trying to find out. I would email the exam board, i have emailed edexcel regarding the same situation with further maths just waiting for a reply. Your further maths AS UMS - wow...
What resources did you use for it if i might ask including D1 and FP1.. books, videos, etc? I want to self-teaching AS level alongside my other 4.

I'll email them if and when I get a rejection. There's no point asking before.

Pretty much just the textbook and past papers. Make sure you do lots of past paper practice.
Reply 8
I'll email them if and when I get a rejection. There's no point asking before.

Pretty much just the textbook and past papers. Make sure you do lots of past paper practice.

Can you send me a link/links to the textbooks?
Original post by ozmo19
To be honest i would prefer AQA. Will be starting AS levels next year so just deciding now.
I can do FP1, D1 but I'm doing M1 for Maths. What would be a good alternative do you think?

Thank you so much btw for the links!

S1 or D2 would be the easiest to learn. M2 is better taken as an A2 module because of the calculus and differential equations.
Reply 12
S1 or D2 would be the easiest to learn. M2 is better taken as an A2 module because of the calculus and differential equations.

So do you think it would be ok to do;
Maths AS and A2: C1,C2,M1,C3,C4,S1 and Further M' AS: FP1,D1,D2
over the course of 2 years?
Ill hopefully end up with 4A2s and the AS..
If i take a gap year to reapply, change course or whatever ill consider A2 for it.

Thanks for the help!
Original post by ozmo19
So do you think it would be ok to do;
Maths AS and A2: C1,C2,M1,C3,C4,S1 and Further M' AS: FP1,D1,D2
over the course of 2 years?
Ill hopefully end up with 4A2s and the AS..
If i take a gap year to reapply, change course or whatever ill consider A2 for it.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, that looks ok.
Hey,

I'm doing my A Level with CCEA as well and decided to do Further Maths with a tutor outside of school and he was able to get in contact with EDEXCEL to ask if I was able to do it with a different exam board as I wanted to do it with EDEXCEL and they said there are loads of people who do it every year, so it's doable - you just need to fill out some kind of form to transfer your credits from CCEA to EDEXCEL so they can move about modules to maximise your grades!
Reply 15
Original post by Jordan\
Hey,

I'm doing my A Level with CCEA as well and decided to do Further Maths with a tutor outside of school and he was able to get in contact with EDEXCEL to ask if I was able to do it with a different exam board as I wanted to do it with EDEXCEL and they said there are loads of people who do it every year, so it's doable - you just need to fill out some kind of form to transfer your credits from CCEA to EDEXCEL so they can move about modules to maximise your grades!

Thanks for the reply!
How do you find the content in comparison to Maths A-Level?
Is it much harder?
Also, what is it like managing it with other subjects and having to go to a tutor?
Would really love to do this exact thing.
And last thing, what modules are you completing and did you have to ask your school to enter you for the exams?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
Thanks for the reply!
How do you find the content in comparison to Maths A-Level?
Is it much harder?
Also, what is it like managing it with other subjects and having to go to a tutor?
Would really love to do this exact thing.
And last thing, what modules are you completing and did you have to ask your school to enter you for the exams?

The content in general for the pure modules in very different, but so much more interesting! My favourite module by far is FP1 because the maths is so different. It is still a challenge, but hey, if your looking to go out of your way to do Further then you must love maths, so it's not too bad!

At the moment I'm still in lower sixth, and I'm only seeing my tutor a couple of times up until the end of this year, because of my other exams and I'm not sitting any further this year, so we are just going to try to get loads of the course done over summer! Honestly it's not too bad, I enjoy he extra maths, and I will only be seeing him about once a week so it won't be too distracting.

I'm sitting EDEXCEL FP1-3, M2-3 and S2, having already sat CCEA C1-4, S1 and M1 (I haven't actually sat C3-4 or S1 yet, but I've covered the material so I can move on). and yes, I did ask my school if I could sit the exams there and they said yes!
Reply 17
FP1 definitely looks interesting!! How have you covered C1-4, M1, S1 already? That's a lot! I plan to do just the AS so EDEXCEL FP1, D1 and either M2/D2. Im doing C1,2 M1 in lower sixth - Is FP1 understandable and fine while doing these or will it be confusing and need knowledge of C3-4?
I am going to ask my school if they'll let me take the exams on Monday so hopefully they say it would be fine.
Original post by ozmo19
FP1 definitely looks interesting!! How have you covered C1-4, M1, S1 already? That's a lot! I plan to do just the AS so EDEXCEL FP1, D1 and either M2/D2. Im doing C1,2 M1 in lower sixth - Is FP1 understandable and fine while doing these or will it be confusing and need knowledge of C3-4?
I am going to ask my school if they'll let me take the exams on Monday so hopefully they say it would be fine.

You don't need C3-C4 knowledge for FP1.
Original post by ozmo19

Im sure they will perfectly fine with it.

I would also highly recommend doing M2! Because we have both sat M1 with CCEA, we have already covered hinges, ladders and variable acceleration which are all topics on M2. Therefore, you would only have to go over the material instead of started from scratch a new module.

How did you find M1, by the way?

Quick Reply