The Student Room Group

Further Maths questions..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jordan\
Im sure they will perfectly fine with it.

I would also highly recommend doing M2! Because we have both sat M1 with CCEA, we have already covered hinges, ladders and variable acceleration which are all topics on M2. Therefore, you would only have to go over the material instead of started from scratch a new module.

How did you find M1, by the way?

Excuse my wording - I'm doing my GCSEs at the minute - I'm lower sixth next year. Good to know that there is a large overlap there so ill definitely consider that! If i do FP1, D1 and M2 i may even be able to look at sitting the full A-Level
Original post by ozmo19
Excuse my wording - I'm doing my GCSEs at the minute - I'm lower sixth next year. Good to know that there is a large overlap there so ill definitely consider that! If i do FP1, D1 and M2 i may even be able to look at sitting the full A-Level

Ah right, even still there is overlap, so don't worry about being overwhelmed by new content.
Reply 22
Can i just ask what resources you use for these modules, including CCEA C1, C2 and M1 and maybe even your A2 modules. I can find really good resources for FP1 and D1 for edexcel, can you point me towards something for d2/m2/s2?

I take it you got an A* in GCSE Maths?
Original post by ozmo19
Can i just ask what resources you use for these modules, including CCEA C1, C2 and M1 and maybe even your A2 modules. I can find really good resources for FP1 and D1 for edexcel, can you point me towards something for d2/m2/s2?

I take it you got an A* in GCSE Maths?

I use the CCEA textbook for C1 and C2, as well as the EDEXCEL Pearson Textbooks for Pure and M1. You can't really go wrong with the EDEXCEL Books, especially for the applied modules however you do have to be careful with what you need to know and what you don't with regards to what is actually on the CCEA Syllabus. I've just been using past papers and ExamSolutions for C3 and C4 so far, but I will be buying the CCEA textbook swell when it comes out (Which will be soon, it has been written and all).

With M1 for CCEA though, you do need M1 and M2 from EDEXCEL to complete the module's syllabus, and the same goes for S1.

As for D2, M2, and S2 I'll check out ExamSolutions, and mathsandphysicstutor as well as the actual textbook, which you can download online for free if you google it, and you can also get the solutions from mathsandphysicstutor.

Yes, I got an A* at GCSE with CCEA, not a very high one though because I had to teach myself T4 as I only did T3 with school. You don't have to be amazing at GCSE maths to do it A Level, but for me a must is that you really enjoy it, it is by far my favourite subject!

My actual marks from GCSE were:

T4 - 80 (RAW), 169.60/180 (UMS)
T6 - 84 (RAW), 212.10/220 (UMS)

which worked out as 381.70/400 (UMS)

I didn't do Further Maths, but I would definitely recommend, if you aren't doing FM at GCSE, to do the course over summer, it definitely helped me A LOT!

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help you out :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Jordan\
x

How long will it take to cover C1-C4, M1 and S1 so that i would be able to move on with FP1,FP2,D1,D2,M2,M3 (while doing 4AS-levels) ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by ozmo19
Also, what's the difference between further maths and OCR (MEI) further maths?
Which have the best books or resources available as well?

OCR MEI mainly asks more engineering applied questions as this board is mainly used for people wanting to study engineering

Quick Reply

Latest