The Student Room Group

Why were soaps used in the Middle Ages but not detergents?

I know that Sodium hydroxide has been known for centries but how come soaps were used in the Middle Ages but not detergents? Help Please?
Reply 1
Yahoo informs me that soaps were made from lye and animal fat. The lye came from wood ashes combined with water. This is a crude form of sodium hydroxide.
Apparently, detergents were not used, as nobody understood the chemistry of cleaning and hence did not know how to produce detergents.
Original post by wsxcde
I just dont think it's true that they did use soap but not detergents. What kind of detergents laundry detergent? Which is basically just using the same soap they had to clean their clothes as well right that could be considered a detergent when used in that fashion. The "middle ages" covers such a huge timeframe and range of different cultures and civilisations which would have had different types of soaps and things.

I personally don't get what the question is asking me of... I mean when was detergents invented???
Original post by Reachingstar117
I personally don't get what the question is asking me of... I mean when was detergents invented???

Well there are so many different type of detergent, does it mean laundry detergent for washing clothes, general cleaning products to clean a bathroom and house, things to wash dishes with.. and what does it mean by "detergent" does it just mean a soap used specifically to clean anything other than the body? There are so many different civilisations throughout the middle ages who all made different types of soaps from different things. The question doesnt make sense tbh. If it is the case it's asking "why did people mostly only use soap on their bodies" I'd say it's because they were unaware of bacteria, so didnt clean plates and stuff with soap, but used it on themselves to smell nice.
Original post by wsxcde
Well there are so many different type of detergent, does it mean laundry detergent for washing clothes, general cleaning products to clean a bathroom and house, things to wash dishes with.. and what does it mean by "detergent" does it just mean a soap used specifically to clean anything other than the body? There are so many different civilisations throughout the middle ages who all made different types of soaps from different things. The question doesnt make sense tbh. If it is the case it's asking "why did people mostly only use soap on their bodies" I'd say it's because they were unaware of bacteria, so didnt clean plates and stuff with soap, but used it on themselves to smell nice.

Thank u for these informations!! It helped me alot.

Quick Reply

Latest