username1847247
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
im still currently in school studying my GCSE's and have been accepted to study health and social care, sociology and law at college. i would like to go down the health care/ sociology kind of route at university and was wondering if it would be a better option for me to change studying law to studying an english instead? and which English would be better to study to get me into the university courses, literature or language?

thank you
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nataliemae)
im still currently in school studying my GCSE's and have been accepted to study health and social care, sociology and law at college. i would like to go down the health care/ sociology kind of route at university and was wondering if it would be a better option for me to change studying law to studying an english instead? and which English would be better to study to get me into the university courses, literature or language?

thank you
You are immediately asking the wrong questions.

You need to consider; which English subject you enjoy more and why?

Now because of your degree route isn't specifically tied with English, I suggest you can go down either. It doesn't really matter. I did both English A-levels at sixth form and they are different but I think in a sociology aspect, perhaps English Language is more suited. Simply because you will study sociolects, dialects, sexuality, occupations and jobs, social class and status in English Language (They all represent how people use language; i.e why do lowerclass use different type of language variations etc). So Language Change and Diversity topic will be most suited to the A-level in Sociology.

Lit, is perhaps would be useful in terms of looking at different literary theories that you might come up in Sociology such as Gender theories, Queer Theory, Freud, Marxism and etc. But this is only in terms of analysing a book. It's harder than it sounds btw. Some of these theories you will definitely study, so you will have a greater understanding of these theorists/theories and that might help you to get a higher grade.

I personally think that Language is harder than literature despite getting a higher grade. I was just naturally better at Language, but naturally enjoyed reading instead. SO think about what comes natural to you and what subject interests you more? One of the bigger questions I wish I considered was do you like analysing fictional texts such as Dracula, Pride and Prejudice or non-fictional such as autobiographies, blogs, transcripts, magazines and etc?
panda14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would suggest that an English would be more suited to your needs. Law is Ok, but basically not very useful in terms of skills you can use in social and care sectors, it's more just memory of what terms mean and sticking an example in to explain (AQA is anyway), so I don't feel it's given me what I wanted in terms of knowledge of the framework for the legal system as applied to medicine and politics, but if you think some knowledge of law will be useful then consider it. Have a look at some past papers to see if you think you'll enjoy it.

Go for whichever you'd feel more comfortable studying for 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.15%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed