The Student Room Group

Free movement treaty.

We the people of the MHoC, with permission from jimjam and Nigel farage MEP propose a treaty of free movement between the countries of Ireland, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom. We would also like to extend the offer to Malta, the USA and Nepal to join this treaty.

this would only represent a free movement of labour.

[QUOTE="jimjam22"]uk[\QUOTE]
Tommycraig
australia
Iggy Azalea
canada
Green_Pink
ireland
Nigel Farage MEP
new Zealand & could you appoint people to rep Malta and Nepal for this please??

Sena5
USA
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Canada has no major concerns over this treaty, we are happy to support it.

We would like to suggest that due to British and Irish involvement in the EU, only natural-born citizens are eligible at this stage.

While this is not a Canadian concern, we can imagine these workers using the more relaxed US-Canadian border to immigrate into the US, thus the US might want to negociate a little.
Reply 2
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Canada has no major concerns over this treaty, we are happy to support it.

We would like to suggest that due to British and Irish involvement in the EU, only natural-born citizens are eligible at this stage.

While this is not a Canadian concern, we can imagine these workers using the more relaxed US-Canadian border to immigrate into the US, thus the US might want to negociate a little.

Aye, we would only want to open the boarder to British and Irish citizens, otherwise it would mean extending the EU over Canada which I am sure you don't want.
New Zealand objects to including Nepal and Malta in this agreement without including any other overseas territories. In addition to freedom of movement a free trade agreement will need to be included, along with restrictions on labour to allow only citizens of participating countries to move. With citizens only being allowed to move, a common understanding of citizenship laws are needed to stop any participating country freely issuing passports.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
New Zealand objects to including Nepal and Malta in this agreement without including any other overseas territories. In addition to freedom of movement a free trade agreement will need to be included, along with restrictions on labour to allow only citizens of participating countries to move. With citizens only being allowed to move, a common understanding of citizenship laws are needed to stop any participating country freely issuing passports.

We recommend they are included but if you have any other teritories you with to suggest be included be my guest. We are happy to work with all countries on a common citizenship law and would ask what kind of free trade agreement you seek.
Reply 5
no issue :no:

USA joins the treaty.
Reply 6
Anglo-sphere

1: free movement
(1) all citizens listed in section 2 are entitled to the following rights:
(2) the right to be reside in any of the countries listed in section 2 for a maximum of 3 months subject to no restrictions or visa requirements
(2.1) citizens exercising this right must notify the relevant authorities in the country the reside in within a reasonable time upon arrival.
(2.2) family members of citizens of section 2 accompanying members exercising this right may be subject to short stay visas.
(3) the right to stay longer then 3 months in any country listen in section 2
(3.1) they must:
(A) be engaged in economic activity within their host country (employment or self-employment)
(B) or have sufficient resources so as that they do one become a burden on their host country.
(C) or are a student in full time education.
(D) or be a family member of a member country listed in section 2 who falls into one of the above categories.
(3.2) residence permits are abolished for members of a country listed in section 2 residing in a different country of the same section.
(3.3) citizens exercising these rights will be required to register with the relevant authorities in their host country providing
(A) proof of citizenship,
(B) proof that the requirements in (3.1) of this section are met.
(4) members who exercised their rights of residence for a period of 5 years have the right of permanent residence in their host nation.
(4.1) provided a expulsion order has not been enforced against them.
(4.2) their host country is not required to provide social security for the first 6 months of permanent residency.
(5) citizens exercising there right may be subject to expulsion orders on the following grounds
(A) public policy
(B) public security
(C) public health
(5.1) they may not be expelled for economic reasons.
(5.2) they may only be expelled on grounds of personal conduct of the individual and represent a significant threat which affects the fundamental interests of the state.
(5.3) the citizen must be notified of the expulsion order, the grounds under which it was issued and the ways to appeal upon it's issuing,
(5.4) a member state listed in section 2 may take measures to avoid abuse of rights or fraud.

2: member countries
United Kingdom(British Republic for the purposes on the MHoC), Republic of Ireland, Canada, United States of America, Australia, New Zealand, Malta.

3: commencement and short title
(1) This Treaty may be cited as the Anglo-sphere treaty ; and
(2) Shall come into force on immediately following ratification by the national Parliament of each member state.

this would be my attempt at a first draft. Please tell me if there's anything you should wish added. Or if you are fine with it:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Fine with this :wink:
Why is Nepal included in this deal? The difference in economies will lead to one-way outflow of human capital.
Reply 9
Why is Nepal included in this deal? The difference in economies will lead to one-way outflow of human capital.

I'm not keen on Nepal, but some government people kicked up a fuss about us not recognising them of the gurkas. But they can be removed.
Original post by Aph
I'm not keen on Nepal, but some government people kicked up a fuss about us not recognising them of the gurkas. But they can be removed.

I believe Nepal should be removed but be more lenient on citizenship for ex-Gurkha soldiers wanting to move to Britain. New Zealand now demands a minimum income bracket enforced and skills requirements be introduced before people are free to move around, as we fear economics migrants from developed countries moving to New Zealand hoping to find a job if the situation in their country is not supportive of their industry.
Reply 11
I believe Nepal should be removed but be more lenient on citizenship for ex-Gurkha soldiers wanting to move to Britain. New Zealand now demands a minimum income bracket enforced and skills requirements be introduced before people are free to move around, as we fear economics migrants from developed countries moving to New Zealand hoping to find a job if the situation in their country is not supportive of their industry.

That would be my preference too.

this treaty would allow you to set some kind of minimum requirement for income.

but a skills requirement is a fundamental thing we cannot agree to, free movement doesn't mean only if you went to uni but so long as you aren't an economic burden.

plus, we also expect that many students would use this and thus not meet any kind of skills requirement.
Reply 12
Has New Zealand reconsidered it's position?
Original post by Aph
Has New Zealand reconsidered it's position?

New Zealand will not sign up to this agreement until a skills requirement is included and Nepal is removed form the list of countries.
Reply 14
New Zealand will not sign up to this agreement until a skills requirement is included and Nepal is removed form the list of countries.

Nepal is gone, a skills requirement is arbitrary. It is not free movement if our citizens cannot move freely. And again, what about the point of if they are moving to go to uni...
Original post by Aph
Nepal is gone, a skills requirement is arbitrary. It is not free movement if our citizens cannot move freely. And again, what about the point of if they are moving to go to uni...

People moving to go to university should always be covered under a study visa and never a free movement agreement.
Reply 16
People moving to go to university should always be covered under a study visa and never a free movement agreement.

We like the way EU free movement works for us, thus we want a similar free movement deal here, if you won't play ball then we will take Canada, America, Ireland, Australia and Malta without you.

Spoiler

Original post by Aph
We like the way EU free movement works for us, thus we want a similar free movement deal here, if you won't play ball then we will take Canada, America, Ireland, Australia and Malta without you.

Spoiler

I have started a roll call and will appoint two members to represent the countries if no one replies. I am not going to send a message out telling everyone of the roll call as people tend to post they're active when really they are not. If they are active they will see the roll call by themselves, making the lack of a message being sent more effective than the actual roll call.

When it come to finding new representatives they can be represented under multi-representation but I would prefer it if they were represented by different individuals since they're vital in your proposition, and it would be nice to have input of different views.
Reply 18
I have started a roll call and will appoint two members to represent the countries if no one replies. I am not going to send a message out telling everyone of the roll call as people tend to post they're active when really they are not. If they are active they will see the roll call by themselves, making the lack of a message being sent more effective than the actual roll call.

When it come to finding new representatives they can be represented under multi-representation but I would prefer it if they were represented by different individuals since they're vital in your proposition, and it would be nice to have input of different views.

Thank you. I just hope they will be appointed in time for submission:s-smilie:
Original post by Aph
Thank you. I just hope they will be appointed in time for submission:s-smilie:

Five days seems reasonable so I'll end the roll call then and message people telling them the outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending