Do only important monarchs get tombs/are buried at Westminster Abbey?

Watch
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do only important monarchs get tombs/are buried at Westminster Abbey? That is why Richard III is being reburied at Leicester Cathedral today? Or did Richard III have the option to be buried at Westminster Abbey but the people thought Leicester Cathedral would be more appropriate since hexes found there and died at Bosworth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Angry Spartan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure how you define an "important" monarch, but quite a lot aren't buried in Westminster Abbey. Henry VIII and Charles I are in St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle, whilst John is in Worcester Cathedral. All three of these kings have had a significant role in the formation of the country we live in today, none of whom are buried in Westminster.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Onde)
Quite astonishing that a king who in all likelihood murdered another king is having pride of place in Leicester Cathedral.

Apparently her majesty is going to say some kind words on Thursday when the funeral takes places on Thursday
Richard III fought in the Battle of Barnet, a site near where I live. I think as he was a Yorkist he should have been buried in York.
Dracul
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Onde)
He was born in Yorkshire and attached to York, true, although according to QI apparently back then people in Yorkshire actually supported the House of Lancaster over York

I don't see why someone who killed his nephews should be dignified a burial in a place like York Minster really. Apart from the fact he was Catholic and the Minster is now a Protestant church.
Don't trust Tudor propoganda
username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
He might have been a ******* but it's right he was reburied in Leicester.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Do only important monarchs get tombs/are buried at Westminster Abbey? That is why Richard III is being reburied at Leicester Cathedral today? Or did Richard III have the option to be buried at Westminster Abbey but the people thought Leicester Cathedral would be more appropriate since hexes found there and died at Bosworth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No British monarch has been buried in Westminster Abbey since George II
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (38)
40%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
22.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.26%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.47%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.26%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.58%

Watched Threads