Ladybird4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing drama at A Level and realised that it is want to pursue after college. I've looked at the top schools (RADA etc.) but am worried about the competition and whether or not I would get in. I need to find other places that would offer the same level of opportunities for this career, or would just like to hear from anyone who has applied there.

Any advice/ audition experiences etc. would be helpful!
Fleurdw
Badges: 1
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ladybird4)
I'm doing drama at A Level and realised that it is want to pursue after college. I've looked at the top schools (RADA etc.) but am worried about the competition and whether or not I would get in. I need to find other places that would offer the same level of opportunities for this career, or would just like to hear from anyone who has applied there.

Any advice/ audition experiences etc. would be helpful!
Hello!

My number one bit of advice would be: don't limit yourself in terms of schools, because
a) the more audition experience you have, the better you'll get at it;
b) the more places you apply to, the better your chances (just think, if you apply to two schools, you only get two strikes and then you're out for the year);
c) you'll get a much clearer idea of which schools you clicked with, having been to lots of auditions.

Any school that is Drama UK Accredited will give you excellent training - you can google, but off the top of my head these are: LAMDA, RADA, Guildhall, Central, Drama Centre, Rose Bruford, Mountview, East 15, BOVTS, RWCMD, RCS, Arts Ed, ALRA, LIPA, Italia Conti, Man. Met., Birmingham School of Acting, GSA. These schools will differ in style of teaching, but they are all very good. What matters is the 'vibe' you get from each place, and whether their style will suit you.

Of course, each application fee is expensive, but it's nothing compared to the cost of another year (or two) of re-applying; so if you want a serious shot, cast your net as wide as you can. To help you decide where to apply, you can:
a) google schools' online prospectuses
b) go to open days
c) depending on where you live, go see their current student productions

Re: opportunities in the industry after drama school, what matters most is your determination; any of the schools above will have given you quality training, and then it's about what you do with it. The big schools have one or two extra industry connections, but even at RADA, 27 of the 28 people in a year won't 'make' it, and once every 5 years they might produce a Tom Hiddleston or Ben Whishaw.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions about the audition process! Good luck.
Ladybird4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Fleurdw)
Hello!

My number one bit of advice would be: don't limit yourself in terms of schools, because
b) the more places you apply to, the better your chances (just think, if you apply to two schools, you only get two strikes and then you're out for the year);
c) you'll get a much clearer idea of which schools you clicked with, having been to lots of auditions.

Any school that is Drama UK Accredited will give you excellent training - you can google, but off the top of my head these are: LAMDA, RADA, Guildhall, Central, Drama Centre, Rose Bruford, Mountview, East 15, BOVTS, RWCMD, RCS, Arts Ed, ALRA, LIPA, Italia Conti, Man. Met., Birmingham School of Acting, GSA. These schools will differ in style of teaching, but they are all very good. What matters is the 'vibe' you get from each place, and whether their style will suit you.

Of course, each application fee is expensive, but it's nothing compared to the cost of another year (or two) of re-applying; so if you want a serious shot, cast your net as wide as you can. To help you decide where to apply, you can:
a) google schools' online prospectuses
b) go to open days
c) depending on where you live, go see their current student productions

Re: opportunities in the industry after drama school, what matters most is your determination; any of the schools above will have given you quality training, and then it's about what you do with it. The big schools have one or two extra industry connections, but even at RADA, 27 of the 28 people in a year won't 'make' it, and once every 5 years they might produce a Tom Hiddleston or Ben Whishaw.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions about the audition process! Good luck.

Thank you this was a big help!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fleurdw)
Here Here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
55.56%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (1)
5.56%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
16.67%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
5.56%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
16.67%

Watched Threads