The Student Room Group

Misunderstanding?

People have always regarded Btecs as horrible courses. Why is BTEC not respected and is it actually as bad as people say it is?

Scroll to see replies

primarily because in the 14-19 environment , courses accredited by BTEC are offered to lower achieving srtudents i.e. those 14 -16 unlikely to achieve level 2 and 16 -19 those still working at level 1 and level 2

it is important to remember that BTEC is an awarding body not a qualification

they offer awards, certificates and diplomas from entry to post graduate level.
Reply 2
I've never taken a BTEC but at GCSE only those who did not have the capability to do a GCSE exam in the subject took a BTEC. I'm now led to understand that a BTEC level 4 is the equivalent to an a level and is not taken because of lack of capability hence why we have a misunderstanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand your point, but if it was so easy I doubt it would be accepted by so many university's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's just say that people who go to Cambridge don't do BTECS.
Reply 5
Original post by Bria331
I've never taken a BTEC but at GCSE only those who did not have the capability to do a GCSE exam in the subject took a BTEC. I'm now led to understand that a BTEC level 4 is the equivalent to an a level and is not taken because of lack of capability hence why we have a misunderstanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you mean level 3 that is equiv to A level, the breakdown is like this:

Level 2 - GCSE
Level 3 - A level
Level 4 - 1st year degree level
Level 5 - 2nd year degree level
Level 6 - 3rd year degree level
Level 7 - postgrad level
Original post by zippyRN
primarily because in the 14-19 environment , courses accredited by BTEC are offered to lower achieving srtudents i.e. those 14 -16 unlikely to achieve level 2 and 16 -19 those still working at level 1 and level 2

it is important to remember that BTEC is an awarding body not a qualification

they offer awards, certificates and diplomas from entry to post graduate level.

No.
Original post by Binary Freak
No.

'no' what, freak ?

BTEC IS an awarding body ...
Original post by zippyRN
'no' what, freak ?

BTEC IS an awarding body ...

Was
Original post by yt7777
I think you mean level 3 that is equiv to A level, the breakdown is like this:

Level 1 - GCSE D-G
Level 2 - GCSE A*-C
Level 3 - A level
Level 4 - 1st year degree level
Level 5 - 2nd year degree level
Level 6 - 3rd year degree level
Level 7 - Masters level
Level 8 - Doctoral level

edited for accuracy

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/compare-different-qualification-levels
Was

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html

the BTEC brand is alive and well under Pearson ...
Original post by zippyRN
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html

the BTEC brand is alive and well under Pearson ...

I'm fully aware.. But BTEC is no longer an awarding body.
Reply 12
Original post by SSpringer20

This is mainly because BTECS are (and are intended to be) vocational qualifications whereas most of the time you need more traditionally academic qualifications for most degrees. They are not easier qualifications -they test different subjects in a different way.
I'm fully aware.. But BTEC is no longer an awarding body.

someone taking a BTEC award still gets a certificate with BTEC at the top ...
Original post by danielnoruwa
People have always regarded Btecs as horrible courses. Why is BTEC not respected and is it actually as bad as people say it is?

Btecs are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Seriously, i did one for GCSE(all coursework based) and it was in Health and social care.

I think people are just annoyed by the fact that Btec students are getting university places and the A level students are made redundant or having to resit their exams.

Also Btecs are seen as the easier way round and unprofessional because in today's age people want proper qualification's which are based on exams.

Anyway, i must say that some people are better off with them because not everyone is made for exams.

Edit: You should do what you like and forget about what people think about Btec qualifications because it is your life and not theirs.

At the end of the day these people can moan about how "easy " they are, but it will not help the situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bria331

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you mean a Level 3 Btec qualification is equivelent to an A level?
Reply 17
Original post by SSpringer20

I believe Cambridge accept the Engineering BTEC and Oxford accept the IT BTEC for Comp Sci and Art BTEC for Fine Art, I also heard of someone getting in to Oxford for Psychology with a BTEC Extended Diploma - I am unsure of the subject though
(edited 9 years ago)
There is nothing wrong with it. I'd like to make people aware that you can get into Dentistry with BTEC, not all universities but there is a choice.
I believe it's how hard you work and the pathway you take :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest