The Student Room Group

Taking GCSE DRAMA??

Hi,
I'm contemplating taking drama for GCSE, would you recommend this subject?
What is the coursework like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would definiely recommend it! :smile: Do you happen to know what exam board you'd be on? If it's OCR, I can go into a bit more detail.
The coursework is fine, actually, although I guess it will vary depending on the exam board. The performance stuff is really fun - nerve-racking, of course, but always fun. The written stuff can get a bit tedious, but as long as you keep on top of it, it's actually OK. I don't find it incredibly challenging. The grade boundaries are always high for drama, however, so you still have to put some effort into it.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. I think I actually posted on your other thread too!
Reply 2
Original post by pursuedbyabear
Yes I would definiely recommend it! :smile: Do you happen to know what exam board you'd be on? If it's OCR, I can go into a bit more detail.
The coursework is fine, actually, although I guess it will vary depending on the exam board. The performance stuff is really fun - nerve-racking, of course, but always fun. The written stuff can get a bit tedious, but as long as you keep on top of it, it's actually OK. I don't find it incredibly challenging. The grade boundaries are always high for drama, however, so you still have to put some effort into it.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. I think I actually posted on your other thread too!

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what exam board it is but I know that the course is made up of 70% practical and 30% coursework. All coursework no written exam
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RXMXXKX
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what exam board it is but I know that the course is made up of 70% practical and 30% coursework. All coursework no written exam
X

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think the exam board you are with is AQA. That's the exam board I'm currently doing drama with. The 70% practical is made up of 40% performance exam in front of an external examiner and the other 30% are workshops in which you will be filmed choreographing and exploring different theatre practitioners ideas and style to create a piece based on a given topic. As for the 30% coursework, this is split into 3 sections. The first one is writing about your filmed workshops and why you did what you did. For example analysing the effect of what you did. The second part is the analysis and evaluation of a script. For example we did find me and we had to comment on how the play should be performed and finally. The third piece you will watch a professional theatre performance and you will be given a word count for you to write an essay on it. I've completed all the workshops and coursework and have scored 100% i have my practical exam in 4 weeks, but honestly you will be fine. I found the coursework unbelievably easy. I would highly recommend taking it.
I do edexcel GCSE drama and love it! I don't know what it's like for different exam boards but exam wise I've done 2 6 hour workshops (which are basically like filmed lessons) and tomorrow I have my final devised performance exam (I am SO nervous:/) Coursework wise I had to do an evaluation essay for both workshops and a play review. As long as you talk about the drama mediums, elements and strategies and the teacher is willing to help you the coursework is ok!
Original post by Stress head-_-
i think the exam board you are with is AQA. That's the exam board I'm currently doing drama with. The 70% practical is made up of 40% performance exam in front of an external examiner and the other 30% are workshops in which you will be filmed choreographing and exploring different theatre practitioners ideas and style to create a piece based on a given topic. As for the 30% coursework, this is split into 3 sections. The first one is writing about your filmed workshops and why you did what you did. For example analysing the effect of what you did. The second part is the analysis and evaluation of a script. For example we did find me and we had to comment on how the play should be performed and finally. The third piece you will watch a professional theatre performance and you will be given a word count for you to write an essay on it. I've completed all the workshops and coursework and have scored 100% i have my practical exam in 4 weeks, but honestly you will be fine. I found the coursework unbelievably easy. I would highly recommend taking it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought AQA did have a written exam?? I also thought the ratio was 60/40, not 70/30, but again I might be wrong.
I suppose it doesn't really matter. Most drama GCSE syllabi seem quite similar.
Original post by pursuedbyabear
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought AQA did have a written exam?? I also thought the ratio was 60/40, not 70/30, but again I might be wrong.
I suppose it doesn't really matter. Most drama GCSE syllabi seem quite similar.

No you are right! My drama board is Edexcel it's because I've been writing on science forums for which im with aqa, sorry hahahaha. I can be such a ditz but the comments I made are the same, it's just edexcel not aqa
No you are right! My drama board is Edexcel it's because I've been writing on science forums for which im with aqa, sorry hahahaha. I can be such a ditz but the comments I made are the same, it's just edexcel not aqa

Haha, it's fine! I was interested more than anything. :smile:
I am 2 years into my gcse drama and I must say it is the worse subject I have ever taken. In lower years it was fine, teachers were fair to all but now you do not learn anything what so ever and if your not in the school production the teachers don't care about you! Practical you don't improve in, but if your a A* girly suck up you'll be sure to get a A*. I know that my teacher is obviously an huge feminist because she ignores all of the boys in the room. We had to write a 2000 word essay for apparently no reason. I got a B on my unit 1 practical without claiming special consideration (I don't plan to) and an A* on written yet she refuses to help me improve my written mark but she is volunteers to improve a girls written work. No way on earth she got higher than me! I am the best essay writer in the year, but she's a girl so she has that going for her. Such a terrible subject that is frowned upon by everyone (including me) and I only took it to improve confidence. Yet after 2 years my confidence has gone backwards, furthermore the only thing drama has raised is my general anger towards that class. My advice is to not take drama unless you are an narcissist feminist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Honestly it is up to. It depends on what your strengths are and what you are wanting to do. Drama aids many other subjects and it can help to boost your confidence immensely. The person claiming drama is only a subject to be taken by narcissist feminists is clearly delusional and is biased because of his own personal experiences. It might be the case that others have been favoured in his class but that isn't a fair and accurate representation to what every drama class is like. Top universities, including Oxbridge, value drama qualifications- particularly A level because it highlights the fact that you are capable of using a wide skill set range and you are able to communicate in more than one way. What is it that you are wanting to do after GCSEs if I may ask?
Reply 10

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by x-Emily-x
I do edexcel GCSE drama and love it! I don't know what it's like for different exam boards but exam wise I've done 2 6 hour workshops (which are basically like filmed lessons) and tomorrow I have my final devised performance exam (I am SO nervous:/) Coursework wise I had to do an evaluation essay for both workshops and a play review. As long as you talk about the drama mediums, elements and strategies and the teacher is willing to help you the coursework is ok!

Ok, good luck for your performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RXMXXKX
Ok, good luck for your performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 13
Honestly it is up to. It depends on what your strengths are and what you are wanting to do. Drama aids many other subjects and it can help to boost your confidence immensely. The person claiming drama is only a subject to be taken by narcissist feminists is clearly delusional and is biased because of his own personal experiences. It might be the case that others have been favoured in his class but that isn't a fair and accurate representation to what every drama class is like. Top universities, including Oxbridge, value drama qualifications- particularly A level because it highlights the fact that you are capable of using a wide skill set range and you are able to communicate in more than one way. What is it that you are wanting to do after GCSEs if I may ask?

I have no idea what I want to do in the future.😩 I am just making sure that I take a range of subjects that I enjoy so I'm not closing to many doors.
I enjoy doing drama but I always get very nervous when it comes to performances so I'm a bit unsure of whether to do it?
My teacher did recommend that I do drama for GCSE though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE drama is amazing!! I got an A overall which I was really happy about. It was my favourite subject because I was doing something I really loved. I'm doing A Level drama now which is also great.

The coursework is fine also, obviously its easier to write if you're passionate about it! I got 89 out of 90 on the coursework.

If you want to take it, go for it!
I would recommend taking GCSE Drama I am half way through my first year doing the subject and I have had a massive skills and confidence boost. In our school we don't do no written work and do all written work on computers. And I belive the next year is more bassed on workshops and that all important final exam (Of which we perform to a paying audience)
Reply 16
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
GCSE drama is amazing!! I got an A overall which I was really happy about. It was my favourite subject because I was doing something I really loved. I'm doing A Level drama now which is also great.

The coursework is fine also, obviously its easier to write if you're passionate about it! I got 89 out of 90 on the coursework.

If you want to take it, go for it!

Ok thanks, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I'm doing drama with AQA. I would recommend it, but there is quite a bit of coursework. With AQA it's 60% practical, 40% written.
Reply 18
Original post by Sint
I'm doing drama with AQA. I would recommend it, but there is quite a bit of coursework. With AQA it's 60% practical, 40% written.

Okay thanks, that's what I'm worried about if I was to do it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest