JosieH98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm applying to university in September and I have Asperger's (autistic spectrum disorder) and was wondering what kind of help autistic people get for entering university. For example, with the interview (I'd want the interviewer to be aware), accommodation, having a mentor or something, that sort of thing.
Blovesdreamies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JosieH98)
I'm applying to university in September and I have Asperger's (autistic spectrum disorder) and was wondering what kind of help autistic people get for entering university. For example, with the interview (I'd want the interviewer to be aware), accommodation, having a mentor or something, that sort of thing.
Hi. I have just been sorting all this for my daughter who also has AS. I initially spoke to the uni and they have been nothing short of fantastic. Her interview day was so much better than we thought and all the tutors were lovely with her. Have you applied for DSA's? when you have your assessment, all support needs will be discussed so it can all be in place for when you start. Talk to the Disability Services at the uni you are applying to and they will advise you on what services they have and can help you through the process.
JosieH98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Oh that's good to know. I haven't yet applied for DSA, when do people do that?
Blovesdreamies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you applied for Student Finance yet? There is a couple of tick boxes on there where you can declare any disabilities and say you are intending to apply for DSA's. All the application forms and associated information came through SFE. As for your interview, contact university before your interview to make them aware. I contacted the department who sent out the interview request, rather than the Disability Services first off, just to make sure the right people were aware. Hopefully, they can help with any special arrangements you may need for the interview and help settle your concerns.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you apply for student finance. The applications for which, are open now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.56%
No (109)
32.44%

Watched Threads