When is the best time to start a dissertation?

Watch
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am a thoroughly organised person. I always get my work done 1-2 weeks before it is due. However, I am thinking of the dissertation already and I am only in my 1st year! Just wondering when did everybody start theirs? How do you know what topic to choose and what does your personal tutor for your dissertation do for you?
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Butterfly92xo)
I am a thoroughly organised person. I always get my work done 1-2 weeks before it is due. However, I am thinking of the dissertation already and I am only in my 1st year! Just wondering when did everybody start theirs? How do you know what topic to choose and what does your personal tutor for your dissertation do for you?
For my course, we had to declare our topic for the dissertation and submit a proposal at the end of the 2nd year.

I did some (not much though!) research over the summer between 2nd and 3rd year, did some more detailed research during the autumn term, and began writing over xmas hols. I'm currently almost finished the 1st draft of the whole thing.

Your dissertation supervisor will guide you throughout the process, from advice with research and suggesting books/subjects to research, through to advice on your academic writing and structuring and referencing, and then towards the end, presentation.
username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I was about to say 'as early as possible' presuming you were in your final year. But hold off. As a first year you generally don't have the skills at the required level to research and write a dissertation and you won't have covered enough background information to effectively decide on what to write about. Also, the part of your course you find interesting can very easily change through your degree as you study things you thought you'd be interested in but aren't and do topics that you either thought you'd hate or that you didn't know about before and find you like.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the second year, we've got a module devoted to getting our independent study things together. I've got to research the subject area and hand in the proposal and associated ethical approval.

I've already done a lot of research for my dissertation and aim to write it over the summer vacation. Will mean that I will have a lot more time for other projects in SEM1 and SEM2 next year. Also gives me chance to go to London to conduct some interviews without lectures or tutorials getting in the way.

Good luck!
BruceKelley
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I am sure you have to start doing your dissertation researches as soon as possible, but of course your teacher has to approve your thesis topic first. I started doing my dissertation at the end of 2nd year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.72%
Okay (106)
29.44%
A bit lacking (132)
36.67%
Not good at all (87)
24.17%

Watched Threads