A day in the life of a Y11 GCSE student

Watch
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I saw the AS one and thought we could do one as well as I've done all my homework, went out and now waiting for dinner!

Fridays are always good days so...

6:00 - slowly drag myself out of bed for my paper round
6:15 - leave for paper round, freezing my ******** off
7:30 - get back from paper round and attempt to warm up with coffee with some toast
7:40 - have a shower
7:50 - get dressed and brush teeth (fun times)
7:55 - pack bag, attempt a 12 mark question
8:00 - leave for school
8:30 - year assembly
8:55 - finish off dubious 12 mark history question
9:00 - history, usually essay writing and textbook reading
9:05 - cry at how I'm going to fail Crime and Punishment
10:00 - break time, no time to talk to mates I've got revision on a C3 topic to do
10:15 - chemistry, always starts with a badly revised for test
10:30 - failed said chemistry test
11:15 - first lunch, eat some food and chat to mates maybe play football
11:45 - chemistry again, oh the joy
12:00 - moan about how much I hate chemistry
12:05 - moan about how much I hate chemistry teacher
12:10 - nod to every word the teacher says to give the impression you understand
12:45 - second lunch, chat to mates and moan at the impending doom that is English
13:15 - English, only made bearable by my hilarious Scottish teacher with possibly the best jokes on Earth
14:15 - computing lecture, desperately trying not to fall asleep
15:15 - history revision session, what a waste of time
15:30 - biscuits announced missing, class is distraught
16:15 - leave school for a mate's house
16:30 - sleep/xbox/chat/revise with mate
19:00 - get home for dinner
19:30 - eat some food
19:45 - attempt revision and homework
20:00 - somewhere in the depths of the internet
21:00 - realises it's too late to do anything, watches TV
22:30 - ****e on TV begins, laptop and phone club by myself or a mate on Skype
23:15 - lists the homework to do during the weekend
23:30 - cries myself to sleep at how long we have left until exams
23:45 - can't get to sleep, undisclosed amount of time on Netflix

What a time to be alive...
Utterly-confused
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How I wish I could re-do my GCSEs..
joddcfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Oh.
jamestg
Rep:
?
(Original post by joddcfc)
Oh.

Don't tell the missus 😉
flou_fboco2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So I saw the AS one and thought we could do one as well as I've done all my homework, went out and now waiting for dinner!

Fridays are always good days so...

6:00 - slowly drag myself out of bed for my paper round
6:15 - leave for paper round, freezing my b*ll*cks off
7:30 - get back from paper round and attempt to warm up with coffee with some toast
7:40 - have a shower
7:50 - get dressed and brush teeth (fun times)
7:55 - pack bag, attempt a 12 mark question
8:30 - year assembly
8:55 - finish off dubious 12 mark history question
9:00 - history, usually essay writing and textbook reading
9:05 - cry at how I'm going to fail Crime and Punishment
10:00 - break time, no time to talk to mates I've got revision on a C3 topic to do
10:15 - chemistry, always starts with a badly revised for test
10:30 - failed said chemistry test
11:15 - first lunch, eat some food and chat to mates maybe play football
11:45 - chemistry again, oh the joy
12:00 - moan about how much I hate chemistry
12:05 - moan about how much I hate chemistry teacher
12:10 - nod to every word the teacher says to give the impression you understand
12:45 - second lunch, chat to mates and moan at the impending doom that is English
13:15 - English, only made bearable by my hilarious Scottish teacher with possibly the best jokes on Earth
14:15 - computing lecture, desperately trying not to fall asleep
15:15 - history revision session, what a waste of time
15:30 - biscuits announced missing, class is distraught
16:15 - leave school for a mate's house
19:00 - get home for dinner
19:30 - eat some food
19:45 - attempt revision and homework
20:00 - somewhere in the depths of the internet
21:00 - realises it's too late to do anything, watches TV
22:30 - ****e on TV begins, laptop and phone club by myself or a mate on Skype
23:15 - lists the homework to do during the weekend
23:30 - cries myself to sleep at how long we have left until exams
23:45 - can't get to sleep, undisclosed amount of time on Netflix

What a time to be alive...
ahhh

to be yr11 again :moon:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is amazing :yum: Where are all the other year 11s? Tell us about your day! :woo:
Midnightmemories
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I shall do my day yesterday but it wasn't a good day.

7:30 - get woken my by my dad with him making weird noises on his phone
8:00 - mum comes into my room to drag me out of bed and tells me to get dressed
8:10 - finish getting dressed and do my hair, then go back into my bed and go on my phone
8:20 - leave for school, attempt to avoid getting run over by the private school mums
8:30 - arrive at school, and i go and see my counsellor and we talk about how my day is going to be
8:50 - go to form, get moaned at for being late by my form tutor but he understands when i tell him where i was
9:00 - go to my first lesson (science). did some revision
10:00 - go to my second lesson, maths. Got mock papers back and realises how much she is probably going to fail.
11:05 - break time, go and see my counsellor again because i was feeling anxious about my third lesson. After speaking to her i go and speak to my friends.
11:25 - third lesson. Gets overwhelmed and walks out of the lesson. Goes and chats to my mentor
12:30 - go to textiles. gets moaned at by people in my class for walking out of the previous lesson
1:30 - lunch time. went off site and got some crap in the coop to have for lunch
2:20 - last lesson, food tech, begins. have a really crappy lesson
3:20 - leave school for the day
3:40 - get home after speaking to head of year at the gates about things
4:00 - do little bits of work for the rest of the evening
11:00 - go to bed
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My day today:

6:30 - wake up to alarm
6:35 - have a shower
6:45 - get dressed, go on my phone
7:00 - breakfast with mum, dad, and sister, and make my packed lunch
7:20 - pack my bag, do my hair and make up, brush my teeth
8:15 - arrive at school
8:30 - tutor time, manically doing my RE homework
8:55 - first lesson (Values In Practise)
9:55 - break, talk to friends
10:15 - second lesson (RE), did some revision
11:15 - third lesson (history), more revision for exams
12:15 - lunch time, Gospel choir practise
1:05 - afternoon tutor, complained about double physics to my tutor who is also my physics teacher
1:15 - double physics
3:15 - end of the school day
3:25 - history revision session about structuring answers to get an A*
4:30 - leave for home
4:55 - get home
I should be doing English revision now until tea at 6 ish. Then I will relax until I go to bed at 9 ish.
_cryinglightning
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My day:
6:45-Alarm goes off,miserably get out of bed wash face
7:00-get dressed, put on any make up
7:10-have breakfast
7:20-brush teeth, put in contact lenses, do my hair, waste time
7:35-quickly pack anything I have forgotten in my bag
7:40-leave for school
8:00-arrive at car park, have 20 minute walk to school
8:20-arrive at school,talk with friends
8:45-bell goes, registration
9:10-first lesson starts(drama), realise I've forgotten the assessment
10:10-20 minute break
10-30-second lesson (stats), use this as a revision lesson to plan for my history controlled assessment
11:35-third lesson (pshce), have to go to the computer suite and use a pointless careers programme
12:35-lunch! talk with friends,revise for chemistry C1 test
13:30-fourth lesson (chemistry), do test
14:30-fifth lesson (history), writing my controlled assessment
15:35-school day ends, catch bus home
16:40-arrive home, change clothes, take out contact lenses, somehow waste time
18:00-attempt to start planning my history controlled assessment, end up wasting time on the computer
19:30-have supper
20:00-try and write the next part of my history,end up feeling ridiculously tired
21:00-have shower
21:30-go on ipad
22:30-lights off, regret all the time I have wasted
valbrechts
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Year 11 here

6:00- Alarm but stay in bed, awake.
7:00- Get up, get dressed, washed, brush teeth
7:30- Make sure everythings in my bag
7:45- Walk to the bus stop (for the bus obvs lol)
7:48- Arrive at bus stop, talk (or completely ignore my friends cus I'm still half asleep)
7:55- Bus picks us up
7:15- Arrive at school, either go to the computer room or outside form (whilst horribly flirting with girls walking by)
7:50 Mandatory PE/Games session. It's usually raining or cold or a combination of both. Either way, we're still forced to stay out and play football.
8:00- die
12:30- sleep
aadil10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My day today:

6:45 - Alarm goes off, get up and get ready for school.
7:44 - Rush outside to the bus stop, bit late today
7:52 - Bus driver decided to be late today too
8:15 - Get to school, straight to English room today, got a nice 2h 15min English Language mock -_-
8:30 - Exam starts
exam time...
taking forever...
halfway there....
uggghhh my hand is dead....
ehhhh don't know what else to write...
10:45 - Exam ends, chat with friends during break
11:00 - Maths, doing an FSMQ past paper yay -_-
12:00 - Lunch ^.^
12:15 - Go to IT room to find my missing USB and attempt to do some coursework
12:30 - Can't find USB, did 3 sentences of work. Play football with mates
13:00 - Lunch over, Graphics 4th lesson, talk and stick 4 pictures on a sheet of paper
14:00 - Chemistry 5th lesson, boring talk and a little experiment in pairs which results in hydrochloric acid on the table for us :P
15:00 - Home time! get on bus
15:10 - Bus finally sets off, listen to music during the journey
15:30 - Get home, change clothes, eat
17:00 - Try and make excuses for doing work on the computer, can't be bothered to revise
18:00 - fooooood
19:00 - now, got karate until half nine, will probably get no work done tonight, another waste of a day
peaaceandl0ve
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
x
You have two lunches?!
jamestg
Rep:
?
(Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
You have two lunches?!
Yep. Two 30min lunches, I don't really know why but hey ho.
peaaceandl0ve
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep. Two 30min lunches, I don't really know why but hey ho.
That's bizarre! We have a 15min break and a 40min lunch
ChrisKen99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
This is amazing :yum: Where are all the other year 11s? Tell us about your day! :woo:

SO REALISTIC! Literally me today!
Obiejess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
6:00 Wake up, spend half an hour pondering the meaning of life/how **** mine is/what degree I should do (again)
6:30 Finally drag myself out of bed, get dressed, do make-up, ram piles of books/sheets hopelessly into bag
7:00 Leave for school, walk in cold with no music because my parents smashed my phone to bits
7:20 Arrive at school extra-early, run errands, do yearbook, put together school council crap
8:30 School actually starts. B3 Lesson. My teacher's a legend and we just sit there and talk sardonically about politics/the environment/how ****ed the education system is
9:25 C3. I love Chemistry so this is okay. Teacher is a bit didactic but I don't mind because he knows what he's on about. Reactions between alcohols and carboxylic acid. Make some Esters using Butanoic acid which stinks of sick.
10:20 Registration for everyone else, but because I'm a special snowflake who should basically be on the payroll I do whatever I want. Normally do more work (for the school not me) or tutor kids in my year who struggle with GCSE Maths (I sat the exam last year, A*)
10:45 Break time! I actually do some work for me now. Sit there putting together and printing off specifications for my US History/Chemistry/Maths SATs.
11:00 History Double!!!! Highlight of my week. Mr Brooks. Amazing teacher. Everyone else hands in the homework but I already gave it in a week ago. Doing the effect of Buffalo massacres/reservations on The Plains' Indians way of life. As per usual Sir completely ignores me when I have my hand up or just smirks. Occasionally picks me on more complex points, only to tell everyone what a great point I just made. Cheers sir.
12:45 Lunch. Stay behind for 10 mins with Mr Brooks and a couple of other History teachers to talk about the best way for me to self teach the US History content. They look at the sample questions and we all laugh at what a silly approach the Americans have to History. Walk over to café and buy a cheese and bean panini & a muffin. Delicious as always, if expensive. Eat them on the way back to lower where I reply to an email asking me to attend the local council meeting as a rep for young people.
1:15 Maths. We go over some S1 questions in prep for our mock on Friday and I still for the life of me can't remember the formula for Var(X). Play Quizdom and I come 8th out of 23. Not bad, considering it's top set and everyone's got an A* a year early. Lads in my class manage to break the radiator pipe so it starts pissing water and then try and hide it with the blinds. I see this and get a box for the water to run into instead of the floor, and tell the boys to get sir. He tries to fix the radiator by kicking it. He slowed the water down at least.
2:10 Should be C2 with Mr Jones, but we finished the course really early and we have a student teacher who happens to be a bit of a derp. He's okay, but completely lacks charisma and tries to control the class whilst we do a practical. It's top set, but it's still a mess. Mr Jones shakes head from back of classroom whilst writing a likely damning observation.
3:00 Stay after with Mr Jones who goes through my SAT Chem spec and tells me which bits aren't on the A-Level spec, so I'll need to self-teach. Not many, and he offers to go through them after school at some point if I want anyway.
3:10 English revision class. In all honesty, I only attend these for the Jaffa Cakes, as the entire thing usually consists of the teacher asking us for interpretations, and me being the only one answering, usually with 'original' inferences. Teacher tells people how amazing my points are, points at me saying things like 'exactly what we want right here' and I cringe so hard I nearly turn inside out. I guess I help others???
4:00 Sir keeps me behind and moans at me for not doing English A-Level, saying I'm on a par with the other best student he's ever taught, and saying I should do it as a bloody degree. I tell him just because I'm good at it doesn't mean I enjoy it. He says you can learn to enjoy it. I remind him that every subject teacher has come to me with same argument about A-Levels and he better join the bloody queue of subjects I'm supposedly too talented not to do. I mean, teachers are aware I can't do 8 A-Levels right?
4:10 More work, mainly for the school again but I do find a bit of interesting US History info that I print off.
5:00 Finally head home. But again, lonely without music. Just want to listen to Live Forever on the way home. What's wrong with that?
5:25 Get in. Dump **** upstairs. Eat food. Talk to parents. Read a bit.
6:45 Shower. I sing terribly.
7:00 Load up computer, blast music. Browse internet in between bits of revision. Snack on crap. Drink tea. Lots of tea.
10:30 Straighten hair whilst I watch the news
11:00 Read for a bit, eventually fall asleep but will wake up several times no doubt.

(This is a less hectic day to be fair)
Minty16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Im in year 11 too! High five people....
my days are full of stress especially since I only have under 5 weeks until exams.
I have to get up very early to revise and when I say early I mean 3:00 early not 6:45 but 3! Does anyone think that this would affect my revision if yes please someone reply- i try to sleep at 8:30 but instead i toss and turn in my bed until i can finally fall asleep. Sometimes it just too overwhelming and I think of giving up completely but I dont know how or why there is something deep inside me keeping me going. I am scared of aiming high just beacause im scared of disapointment but i cant aim low either. Life is just too stressful at this point of the journey
valbrechts
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Minty16)
Im in year 11 too! High five people....
my days are full of stress especially since I only have under 5 weeks until exams.
I have to get up very early to revise and when I say early I mean 3:00 early not 6:45 but 3! Does anyone think that this would affect my revision if yes please someone reply- i try to sleep at 8:30 but instead i toss and turn in my bed until i can finally fall asleep. Sometimes it just too overwhelming and I think of giving up completely but I dont know how or why there is something deep inside me keeping me going. I am scared of aiming high just beacause im scared of disapointment but i cant aim low either. Life is just too stressful at this point of the journey
No disrespect but what's the point of getting up at 3 to revise? You're making it worse for yourself. Just revise when you get home from school, lets say 4-8pm? Switch it up a bit if you need some social time. I'm in the same position. Exams in 5 weeks etc.
Don't give up man!!
MaxReid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In retrospect GCSEs are easy. I wish we were told the A-Level revision methods and just told that GCSEs are simple if you just take them seriously. Just my opinion based on speaking to people
Dark Elixir
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My day today (sixth form):

12:00 woke up by dad
12:50 mustered up the motivation to get out of bed and came on TSR

That's right, I didn't go to sixth form today because it is honestly the worst ever thing to happen to me, every time I walk through those school doors, I feel crushed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed