Petition- A National Day of Mourning for the King Richard III

Watch
This discussion is closed.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This petition calls for a National Day of Mourning for King Richard III, whose remains are being re-buried on Thursday 26th March in Leicester Cathedral. As this would be too short notice for a Public Holiday to be declared, this petition calls for Friday August 21st 2015 to be declared as such, it being the eve of the 530th anniversary of Richard III's death at the Battle of Bosworth Field.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why? Should we also mourn every monarch who ever died? We'd never work.
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Too old, do not want.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nah
username1149696
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why should someone who carried out summary executions (against even the standards of the time) be mourned? Without going into whether we should revere royalty merely for not being atrocious human beings?
drowzee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll sign it if it means I get a day off school.
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm against any form of "national" mourning supported by the state. Individuals can mourn whoever they want. You don't need state endorsement.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, he died hundreds of years ago.

It's bad enough that Jon Snow opened the coverage like he would for the funeral of the reigning monarch. (Although I have a feeling Channel 4 were having a bit of a rehearsal for exactly that.)

And if you are going to do it (bearing in mind we, scandalously, don't have public holidays in TSRland any more) then at least do it during term time.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No thanks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads