The Student Room Group

Revision Tips

I do AS Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. Aiming for A*s next year, so was just wondering if anyone had any revision tips - e.g. best way to revise, how much to revise etc...

It's been a long time since my A Levels, but back in the day (:colondollar:) I used to (and still do!) find flashcards absolutely amazing. Little cards with key points and info about the chosen topic on.
That way you only have to remember those key points, and once you remember those, you'll be able to link it up with other stuff you know and elaborate/analyse/evaluate your point more.
If you don't want to buy them, you can easily make them by cutting up sections of a normal A4 piece of paper. You can use brightly coloured pens and pencils to make them stand out, and because they're only small, you can stick them up around the house (much to your parent's dismay) so you will see it everyday and it will eventually sink in.

For my History GCSE's (years ago now!) I had all the key dates I needed to remember for my exam on post-it notes stuck around my home, and now my mum still to this day knows the date the Berlin wall got knocked down:colondollar: Messy for a while, but very effective!!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do wonderful!!:biggrin:
Different ways to revise:
- Get the specification for each qualification, see what you need to know.
- Consolidate what you need to know into mnemonics.
- Get revision guides.
- Do past papers.
- Mark your answers and analyse your results.
- Make mind maps, one for each topic, and put them on your wall.
- Put the mnemonics on your wall.
- Write flash cards (keep it brief), with a quick question on one side (that you should already know) and the answer on the reverse, go through enough each day so that you cover them all in a week. Then make new ones and test them and the previous ones on the following week.
- When writing notes, do dual notes, draw a vertical line on the page (portrait) and put the teachers words on one side and your own opinions on the other, so that you separate your ideas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending