The Student Room Group

I wish i was like Will Smith

I was just watching Hitch and Focus the other day and this guy is the ultimate definition of what a man should be. Tall, powerful, smooth, confident and charming.This dude is just ****ing awesome all around and everybody likes him everywhere he goes. I hate my ****ty genetics cos i can't gain weight or muscle no matter how much i eat. I'm just a skinny rake at 6 feet tall and about 10.5 stones.

I've been building my strength up before i join the gym but nothing seems to be happening. I bought these pill from the internet because they are supposed to make your digestion better and allow you to gain more weight but all they're doing is making me sick and giving me headaches making it hard to sleep.

I've got a fridge full of chicken, green yoghurt, ham and plenty of veg but it all cant stay on my body. I dont like summer being here as i can't cover up my body like i usually do through winter. I always wear long sleeve tops and stay inside because i don't wanna be seen outside with my gangly limbs. What can i do??
Reply 1
Gaining muscle is a long term commitment man, you need to do it for a year or two consistently whilst eating the right amount of the good stuff to see results. Is that's your goal then stick at it, but be your own person man don't obsess over celebrities, they're all airbrushed over to show their perfections man, that's why every girl lusts over Aniston etc. they're just regular people like you or me at the end of the day, just with a better diet, health care and better looks. Lol.
Reply 2
Original post by Tom78
Gaining muscle is a long term commitment man, you need to do it for a year or two consistently whilst eating the right amount of the good stuff to see results. Is that's your goal then stick at it, but be your own person man don't obsess over celebrities, they're all airbrushed over to show their perfections man, that's why every girl lusts over Aniston etc. they're just regular people like you or me at the end of the day, just with a better diet, health care and better looks. Lol.

It's quite hard eating all that much. I literally do it until i puke. None of the weight seems to stay on and the pills aren't helping much.
I don't know if this will help you or if you are in a position to try it, but I've been doing research on health and fitness and came across this: http://bonytobeastly.com/

I don't usually put in links to companies, but this one seems fairly legit and says sensible stuff.

Either way, being healthy is the most important thing and some of us quite like skinny guys :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Plumstone
I don't know if this will help you or if you are in a position to try it, but I've been doing research on health and fitness and came across this: http://bonytobeastly.com/

I don't usually put in links to companies, but this one seems fairly legit and says sensible stuff.

Either way, being healthy is the most important thing and some of us quite like skinny guys :wink:

Yeah i've come across that site before.

You say that but I bet you'd be happier if Will Smith or Idris Elba tried talking to you instead of a skinny twig like Mo Farah.
look at his pathetic and moronic son tho

i feel sorry for the guy
Reply 6
fresh prince in hindsight was overrated....OK it was funny, but US comedy is ****ty, i watch for laughs not moral lessons.

but you are you. You cannot compare yourself to others.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah i've come across that site before.

You say that but I bet you'd be happier if Will Smith or Idris Elba tried talking to you instead of a skinny twig like Mo Farah.

I hate it when people contradict me and think they know me better than I do.

I don't find the meat-head, gym-bunny look attractive. Mo Farah is a super-fit Olympic gold medalist with a body like a well-oiled machine. If he came up to me in a pub, then (aside from the fact that I have a boyfriend and he's married) I would be incredibly flattered.

What I find even more unattractive than meat-heads, though, is self-pitying men who blame women for the fact that they are unhappy. Find yourself some self-esteem and maybe your luck will improve.
I was just watching Hitch and Focus the other day and this guy is the ultimate definition of what a man should be. Tall, powerful, smooth, confident and charming.This dude is just ****ing awesome all around and everybody likes him everywhere he goes. I hate my ****ty genetics cos i can't gain weight or muscle no matter how much i eat. I'm just a skinny rake at 6 feet tall and about 10.5 stones.

I've been building my strength up before i join the gym but nothing seems to be happening. I bought these pill from the internet because they are supposed to make your digestion better and allow you to gain more weight but all they're doing is making me sick and giving me headaches making it hard to sleep.

I've got a fridge full of chicken, green yoghurt, ham and plenty of veg but it all cant stay on my body. I dont like summer being here as i can't cover up my body like i usually do through winter. I always wear long sleeve tops and stay inside because i don't wanna be seen outside with my gangly limbs. What can i do??

Seems to me like your approach is flawed. I will try to clarify my point as much as I can.

Your body is incredibly smart when it comes to utilising nutrients and managing its usual processes - you can not directly control how it does all of this, but you sure can influence it. Gaining muscle mass is a continuous and in most cases (assuming you have average genetics) an incredibly slow process which will truly test your patience and your willpower. I will take you through several commonly asked questions in order to break down my post in a user-friendly manner.

I. When does muscle growth occur?

- Muscle growth occurs when:
1. The muscles are regularly stimulated beyond their ordinary levels of activity.
2. When the individual in question regularly consumes the necessary amount of nutrients, which the body will need in order to recover.
3. Ample time is given for your body to rest and recover. When you excersise beyond your usual levels of physical activity, you break down muscle fibers, which in turn causes the feeling of soreness. When your diet is in check and you allow your muscles the necessary time to rest, the muscle fibers recover to be bigger and stronger. Your physical endurance will gradually increase as well.

II. How long until I notice visible results?

- I would say it takes about of 1 year of consistent training and diet for the average joe in order to notice visible changes of your body. Please note, that you should really capitalise on your first year of training. This is when you will gain the most muscle mass for the shortest possible time. It is an adaption of your body to your new levels of physical activity, which will only slow down from that point on. The more you develop with time, the harder and harder it will get to build new muscle mass.

III. How do I maintain my newly acquired gains?

1. Change your diet accordingly. If you gain muscle mass, obsviously you will need to consume more food than before to sustain it. You will need even more nutrients in order to build even more muscle mass on top of that.
2. Point 1. is irrelevant if you do not exercise regularly as well. After a while, "just exercising" will not cut it - your body is smarter than that. You have to progressively overload your muscle's capacity to train. This is the only way to induce growth - continuously pushing yourself beyond what you did previously. Does not necessarily mean more wieght, it could be more repetitions or shorter rests between sets etc. Any kind of progression is always a good sign.

In final summation - you are not eating nearly as much as you should be eating and you are not exercising nearly as much as you should be exercising. Other variables include: your consistency, effort, training regime, proper technique etc.

This is absolute BASICS. I could go on and on and on and on but:

1. I am not your coach and I couldn't be - I am not a professional, just a guy who exercises to keep himself in good shape and for general health.
2. All of the necessary knowledge is at your disposal and no one can spoonfeed it to you.

How do I know all of this? I was a skinny guy myself:

2009 - 5ft11 110 pounds
2015 - 6ft00 190 pounds

Hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lift weights, keep at it. Bodybuilding isn't really that hard and the results can be noticeable quickly.

I assume you're one of those guys who find it very hard to gain weight. Just eat loads of protein in your diet, nuts, chicken, fish and have loads of carbs such as rice, pasta etc.

It's not as hard as people make it out to be.

The workout needs to be gruelling though and you should be looking to up the weights after each session you go to the gym at the start.

It's a bit problematic for me since I can't afford a gym atm and only have 10kg dumbells for each hand but even then there are still things you can possibly do(curls, crunches, flyers, dumbell squats) it's not going to be as effective as when you have higher weights but it's doing a job for me. There's also other exercises that you can make up as we go along.
You probably think you're eating a lot when in reality you aren't. You should have a general idea of how many calories you're taking in per meal/day.

If you're struggling to eat a lot then use liquid calories. There are a lot of home made recipes online. Something like milk, protein powder, a banana/other fruit, scoop of peanut butter and instant oats from somewhere like myprotein. com and you're guaranteed to pack on the pounds.
Original post by miguapa
fresh prince in hindsight was overrated....OK it was funny, but US comedy is ****ty, i watch for laughs not moral lessons.

but you are you. You cannot compare yourself to others.

Blasphemy.
Lose the sad mentality.

Lift and eat clean, consistency and perseverance also help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Firstly, if you join a gym, get on a good routine and eat sufficiently, you WILL gain muscle. Read the sticky in the fitness forum.

Oh, and since you're such a fan of the guy, maybe try his own advice:

I bought these pill from the internet because they are supposed to make your digestion better and allow you to gain more weight but all they're doing is making me sick and giving me headaches making it hard to sleep.

I really, really think you should stop taking those pills.
You say yourself that they don't seem to be helping, and there is a very real possibility that they may be harmful.
If you think it's hard gaining weight now, imagine how hard it will be if those pills damage your kidneys or liver.
OP I also forgot eat beans.
Lol at US comedy being ****. UK comedy is one of the worst around there(bar for a few such as inbetweeners) rest of the comedies are for old age pensioner folk like Fawlty Towers.

Saying that Only Fools and Horses was good.
Original post by jam277
Lol at US comedy being ****. UK comedy is one of the worst around there(bar for a few such as inbetweeners) rest of the comedies are for old age pensioner folk like Fawlty Towers.

Saying that Only Fools and Horses was good.

wrong thread jam?
Original post by e aí rapaz
wrong thread jam?

In reply to the guy saying Fresh Prince was overrated.
Original post by jam277
In reply to the guy saying Fresh Prince was overrated.

Oh yeah I must've glazed over that post.

....Carry on.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest