Young Sinatra
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In my school we have a different GCSE system.
They started this system this year (I'm in year 10) but it actually starts when you're in year 9.

Let me start this off by saying that I am an absolute what people call and ICT nerd/geek/etc.

(Now,) In our school you start your GCSEs when you're in year 9. At the end of year 8 you choose 2 subjects to do the first year and you choose two at the end of year 9 to do in year 10. Because I am in year 10 now, I chose the first two at the end of year 9. Our GCSE classes are mixed with year 9 students (whyyyy:banghead:). Sorry if this is confusing. When I chose my subjects in year 9 there was no Computing. My ICT teacher told me to pick ICT so I can choose Computing at the end of year 10 to do in year 11. The other week we got the list aaaaaand no computing. I was absolutely mad. I was hoping to study computing in college and uni too and having it as a GCSE would be good I thought. I got bummed :/

Btw, I chose ICT and BS for this year and Triple Science and Film Studies for next year.
Thomas12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not having computing wont set you back. I only do gcse ict and got accepted onto a computer science sixth form course
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What an odd system you've got there.

Just as a side note, if you want to do computer science (or computing as some call it) for a degree, most universities recommend you do other things at A level, as most first year content is just repeated A level stuff.

Maths is essential, Further Maths or a physical science (particularly physics) might be recommended.

Do you have a particular university in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You still have ICT. You can do computing in college and uni without having done it at GCSE.
Young Sinatra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fanatical Geek)
What an odd system you've got there.

Just as a side note, if you want to do computer science (or computing as some call it) for a degree, most universities recommend you do other things at A level, as most first year content is just repeated A level stuff.

Maths is essential, Further Maths or a physical science (particularly physics) might be recommended.

Do you have a particular university in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want to study at top unis such as Cambridge, Oxford etc.
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Young Sinatra)
I really want to study at top unis such as Cambridge, Oxford etc.
Then I recommend you look at their websites at Computer Science for guidance.

They accept Computing as a "useful" A-Level, but would prefer you use subject that's give you a grounding in maths, with A-Level maths being essential and Further Maths and/or physics being recommended

This is just because a lot of A level computing content is repeated in year 1, so the top Uni's would prefer you do something else.

Hope this helps, again - have a look at the websites for more information

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We wouldn't mind at all about you not having done Computing at GCSE. It's really not a problem at all. We don't have any specific requirements when it comes to GCSEs. What's more important is your choice of subjects at A Level (or IB or equivalent.) We talk about this in depth here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...al_offers.html Hope that helps.
Young Sinatra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
We wouldn't mind at all about you not having done Computing at GCSE. It's really not a problem at all. We don't have any specific requirements when it comes to GCSEs. What's more important is your choice of subjects at A Level (or IB or equivalent.) We talk about this in depth here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...al_offers.html Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for replying!
That's a relief for sure. It will still be a touch challenge to get As in Maths, but I will definetely do my best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads