The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so where are your family from and what do you celebrate?

ASking might be considered racist?
You're judging all English people by how your friends behave.

I'd say you're pretty ignorant too.
Original post by honeyandlemon
I'm a British indian who was born and brought up in the UK. None of my English friends have ever properly asked me about where my family were from or what we celebrate. General knowledge of other countries or cultures in general is absolutely pathetic.

Kinda agree. As a black person who is born and bred in London I have only seen this "ignorance" emerge over the past two years (not saying it has or has not always been around). It didn't really bother me until people who have known me for years started asking if my family were ok because they assumed that they were in Ebola stricken countries even though the entirety of my family live in England. Not sure if that counts as ignorance but to me it does. Just saying.
Reply 4
Original post by esbo

How the **** can that be considered racist? Maybe they just don't care?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm British Indian as well but my English friends have properly asked me about where my family are from or what I celebrate.Its only a way to start a conversation but they wouldn't really care anyway.Maybe its not the most important thing in the world,there are some English people who are generally interested in other cultures they tend to be in higher professions and well educated and not the lower class racist scumbags .But you cant base the whole English population on a few friends .
Reply 6
India is literally the most racist country in the world, lol at the idea of an Indian having the audacity to criticise another country for being 'ignorant', especially given that the UK is (for good or ill) one of the most tolerant countries in history.

The hypocrisy and double standards inherent in the way that certain groups of people get outraged whenever they are treated even slightly differently in the West, when their own countries are far, far more racist/xenophobic than any Western country, is just breathtaking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by meenu89
How can the **** can that be considered racist? Maybe they just don't care?

I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 061194
I'm British Indian as well but my English friends have properly asked me about where my family are from or what I celebrate.Its only a way to start a conversation but they wouldn't really care anyway.Maybe its not the most important thing in the world,there are some English people who are generally interested in other cultures they tend to be in higher professions and well educated and not the lower class racist scumbags .But you cant base the whole English population on a few friends .

Didn't know that class played a part on whether someone is a 'racist scumbag' :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by esbo
so where are your family from and what do you celebrate?

lol asking where someone's family is from is racist?
I don't think its ignorance but there are so many different cultures/nationalities/religions in this country that it would be quite time-consuming to ask everyone where they're from and what they celebrate....and people have jobs....
Because assuming that someone non-white is foreign can be seen as racist?

"Where you from?"
"London"
"Where you actually from?"
"London! Just because I'm black/asian/etc... doesnt mean I'm not English! you racist!"
I'm a British indian who was born and brought up in the UK. None of my English friends have ever properly asked me about where my family were from or what we celebrate. General knowledge of other countries or cultures in general is absolutely pathetic.

Maybe they don't give a **** because it doesn't matter to them. They probably not friends with you because of where your heritage hails from. Grow the **** up.
Original post by meenu89
How the **** can that be considered racist? Maybe they just don't care?

Contradicta has a point...

Original post by contradicta
Because assuming that someone non-white is foreign can be seen as racist?

"Where you from?"
"London"
"Where you actually from?"
"London! Just because I'm black/asian/etc... doesnt mean I'm not English! you racist!"
And wats funny is when I ask british asian- wer they r from? Ther answer is "I m british". Is my ques wrong or do they fail to understand the ques?

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP this might be irritating to you but people have their reasons it could well be that they aren't interested or that they don't think it's important in their relationship with you. After all you were born here... maybe they're conscious of that and so presume it isn't right to ask questions highlighting your difference.

You're being a bit 'centre of the universe' thinking that every white English person should ask every 'foreign looking person' where they're from and what they believe in and if they don't they're automatically ignorant.
Well, you're from Britain. Its not exactly weird to assume someone born and raised in England considers themselves from England.
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm British Asian and my friends have asked all what you have mentioned.

The past is the past mate. You are in the UK now so act like. You left your old life behind so why do you expect other people to ask about it?
Reply 19

Because they treat you as if you were british and no different? Surely thats more positive than negative?

Latest