Getting your employer to pay for your Masters Degree

Watch
Jonl93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi All,

I graduated from De Montfort University last June having achieved a 1st class BA hons in Graphic design. I'm now considering a Masters in 'graphic design by registered project' at Nottingham Trent.

I'm currently working as a UI designer at a software development company in Nottingham and would like to persuade my employer to pay for my tuition fees (approx. £5,400).

Have any of you got advice on how to approach this? Have you tried this before?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jonl93)
Hi All,

I graduated from De Montfort University last June having achieved a 1st class BA hons in Graphic design. I'm now considering a Masters in 'graphic design by registered project' at Nottingham Trent.

I'm currently working as a UI designer at a software development company in Nottingham and would like to persuade my employer to pay for my tuition fees (approx. £5,400).

Have any of you got advice on how to approach this? Have you tried this before?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
You need to convince them with demonstrable experience and commitment that it's in their interests to support you. That will take time and diligence.

First consolidate your position with them. Work hard, gain respect and become a valuable member of the team. (Remember that no-one is indispensable though.)

This may take a few years.

At your next performance/development one-to-one appraisal, bring up the subject of enhancing performance by a further period of study. This sows the seeds that you are ambitious and prepared for lifelong continual improvement.

Do your research thoroughly and prepare a business case showing why it would be both beneficial for them and profitable in the long run for you to take time out and do a masters degree with the company as your financial sponsor.

Your case will be taken seriously if you have a final thesis/dissertation which directly and profitably impacts their business in a positive way. The bigger their return on investment in you, the more likely you are to succeed. So prepare a compelling case.

You will, in all probability, need to sign some kind of financial terms and intellectual property agreement (they own the work) where you indemnify them against loss should you pack up and leave straight after gaining your qualification. i.e. lock yourself into a contract for a few years (read minimal pay rises) in order to deliver the benefits payback to them.

Think this through. It may not be so beneficial financially to you in the medium / long term, if all you want right now is for someone else to pick up the immediate tab for your education.

Good luck.

PS. I did my Masters in Aerospace Systems Engineering sponsored by British Aerospace this way. The course was structured as an intense 4 months full time crammed lecture period followed by exams, and then an in-house 18 month thesis (directly related and mutually agreed project) with my senior management sponsors.
Jonl93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for this insightful information. I'm still in the early stages of deciding if I want to go ahead with the course.

I'm actually going to an open day later on so I imagine I'll get more of an idea after that.

You raised a very good point that in fact it might not be such a good idea to ask for financial support from them. I didn't think of it from that point of view!

Thank you again for your response.

Regards,

Jon

(Original post by uberteknik)
You need to convince them with demonstrable experience and commitment that it's in their interests to support you. That will take time and diligence.

First consolidate your position with them. Work hard, gain respect and become a valuable member of the team. (Remember that no-one is indispensable though.)

This may take a few years.

At your next performance/development one-to-one appraisal, bring up the subject of enhancing performance by a further period of study. This sows the seeds that you are ambitious and prepared for lifelong continual improvement.

Do your research thoroughly and prepare a business case showing why it would be both beneficial for them and profitable in the long run for you to take time out and do a masters degree with the company as your financial sponsor.

Your case will be taken seriously if you have a final thesis/dissertation which directly and profitably impacts their business in a positive way. The bigger their return on investment in you, the more likely you are to succeed. So prepare a compelling case.

You will, in all probability, need to sign some kind of financial terms and intellectual property agreement (they own the work) where you indemnify them against loss should you pack up and leave straight after gaining your qualification. i.e. lock yourself into a contract for a few years (read minimal pay rises) in order to deliver the benefits payback to them.

Think this through. It may not be so beneficial financially to you in the medium / long term, if all you want right now is for someone else to pick up the immediate tab for your education.

Good luck.

PS. I did my Masters in Aerospace Systems Engineering sponsored by British Aerospace this way. The course was structured as an intense 4 months full time crammed lecture period followed by exams, and then an in-house 18 month thesis (directly related and mutually agreed project) with my senior management sponsors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads