The Student Room Group

I think my best friend is an alcoholic?

We're both in sixth form and she throws a lot of parties, and attends a few of other peoples' as well. They all only involve close friends (around 15-20 people) but she always gets so drunk she passes out within the first two hours. Even when it's just a small gathering where no one else is drinking (e.g. three people) she gets incredibly drunk and is often sick/passes out, but she spends a lot of time when sober berating others for drinking too much at parties, even when they haven't had that much to drink.

She wants to have a group of three of us over so we can get really drunk, but it seems like she's drinking all the time. I asked her why she drinks and she said that she doesn't often, and that she only does it because it's fun. She also had problems with self harm in the past, even though she hasn't had any reason to do so (she's clever, well liked, no major events have happened to upset her). She said she used to do it because it felt nice.

What do you suggest I do?
Unless it everyday drinking, I wouldn't really call that being an alcoholic, how often is it she gets drunk?

If she says it's fun, then I doubt she is lying, let her enjoy herself :smile:

Ah and I'm sure you already do but keep a close eye on her, I'm sure you wouldn't to have your friend end up in hospital due to falling over and hitting her head.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd say that's binge drinking, not necessarily alcoholism.
Reply 3
First things first: It is not up to you to judge whether she has any reason to self-harm.

Then, the definition of alcoholism that works for me, is that people regularly get drunk on their own. It does short sound like that might be the case, because she gets way more drunk than the people around her. Do you know whether she managed to get drunk when she's alone? That would be worrisome.
Reply 4
It doesn't sound like she's an alcoholic unless she's drinking on her own as well. She might be depressed or struggling with things emotionally. It may also be that she wants to portray herself in such a way that others feel concerned for her. Otherwise she might just be a binge drinker who enjoys it.
Reply 5
It sounds like alcohol abuse, rather than alcoholism. Getting smashed every time you drink is not healthy, but it isn't really taken seriously over here. It is kind of expected, especially for young people.

People use alcohol as an emotional crutch, and as a coping mechanism. She might be under a lot of stress and getting drunk is simply a release for her. My advice is to be there for her, have a chat and nicely tell her to try not get as drunk, and just keep a look out for any changes in her drinking pattern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending