sutinn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically I've been offered places for history of art at both UCL and the Courtauld. Both are incredibly prestigious places to take it, but it seems that its Courtauld Graduates who do the most, but these people generally only go there for postgrad, not BA (these people include the director of the National Gallery, the director of the British Museum, the director of the Tate).

One of my main priorities is accommodation, which is guaranteed at UCL, whereas I don't think I'd be likely to be granted accommodation at the Courtauld as I live quite close to it, because of this I'm in a quandary as to where I should apply. Any thoughts?
upendatom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sutinn)
Basically I've been offered places for history of art at both UCL and the Courtauld. Both are incredibly prestigious places to take it, but it seems that its Courtauld Graduates who do the most, but these people generally only go there for postgrad, not BA (these people include the director of the National Gallery, the director of the British Museum, the director of the Tate).

One of my main priorities is accommodation, which is guaranteed at UCL, whereas I don't think I'd be likely to be granted accommodation at the Courtauld as I live quite close to it, because of this I'm in a quandary as to where I should apply. Any thoughts?
I've firmed UCL for History of Art it really depends on what environment you want. I withdrew my application from the Courtauld, as I didn't want to be in a small, single faculty university, and I also didn't want to study French or Italian. Another thing that put me off the Courtauld was the lack of financial support and, as you said, the accommodation situation. In contrast I liked the flexibility of the course at UCL, as well as the fact that as it's a larger uni there's more going on.

It's really up to you, both courses are strong - I guess try and look at which course you prefer, and also think about the environment you want to study in. Try visiting them, I firmed UCL before I had visited it but went to an Offer Holder day and it confirmed my decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KelseyGrammar
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sutinn)

If you're asking which one has the better reputation academically, it's the Courtauld. Good for you for getting a place at both. Courtauld does have accommodation at Duchy House on the Strand.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KelseyGrammar)
If you're asking which one has the better reputation academically, it's the Courtauld. Good for you for getting a place at both. Courtauld does have accommodation at Duchy House on the Strand.
OP knows that but says they might not get a place due to living nearby already. UCL don't look at location when allocating a room and the Coulthard do.
TrinityGardner
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same boat as you OP, even down to accommodation(I live in London). And there's also East Anglia as an option for me (?_?)

with only two hours to go...
Eve3328
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by upendatom)
I've firmed UCL for History of Art it really depends on what environment you want. I withdrew my application from the Courtauld, as I didn't want to be in a small, single faculty university, and I also didn't want to study French or Italian. Another thing that put me off the Courtauld was the lack of financial support and, as you said, the accommodation situation. In contrast I liked the flexibility of the course at UCL, as well as the fact that as it's a larger uni there's more going on.

It's really up to you, both courses are strong - I guess try and look at which course you prefer, and also think about the environment you want to study in. Try visiting them, I firmed UCL before I had visited it but went to an Offer Holder day and it confirmed my decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I plan to study Art History at UCL. I am an international student. May I know your opinion about the program? UCL History of Art program looks broad and the modules are varied. Thanks!

I was also wondering if there are many mature students at UCL. (I am 28)
ginab0beena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Eve3328)
Hello! I plan to study Art History at UCL. I am an international student. May I know your opinion about the program? UCL History of Art program looks broad and the modules are varied. Thanks!

I was also wondering if there are many mature students at UCL. (I am 28)
Hi!

Did you decide to take your place at UCL? I have UCL as my insurance choice for History of Art (with SOAS as firm with History of Art and South-East Asian Studies).

I am a mature student too, slightly younger at 24.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.86%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (11)
15.71%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.43%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
37.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
17.14%

Watched Threads