The Student Room Group

Question about missing grades for firm choice

As I understand it, from reading the UCAS site, there is a chance that if you just miss the grades for you firm choice's conditional offer, they may offer you a place anyway.

But what happens if you hit the conditions for your insurance choice? Wouldn't that be automatically accepted? How would you then get in touch with your firm choice to see if you can get in anyway?

For example my daughter's firm choice requires BB this year. Her insurance required just a single B.

Let's say she gets AC, and misses the BB for her firm - I presume her insurance choice would automatically get accepted? So what happens if her firm choice decided AC was good enough?
Reply 1
Original post by MoodyM
As I understand it, from reading the UCAS site, there is a chance that if you just miss the grades for you firm choice's conditional offer, they may offer you a place anyway.

But what happens if you hit the conditions for your insurance choice? Wouldn't that be automatically accepted? How would you then get in touch with your firm choice to see if you can get in anyway?

For example my daughter's firm choice requires BB this year. Her insurance required just a single B.

Let's say she gets AC, and misses the BB for her firm - I presume her insurance choice would automatically get accepted? So what happens if her firm choice decided AC was good enough?

Firm choice gets right of first refusal, so your daughter can only be accepted at her insurance choice after her firm choice shows on track as having rejected her. In that case, there would be no point in her contacting her first choice as their decision to reject has already been taken.

However, if her firm choice remains conditional firm on track on results day, it is worth her phoning the university because it means they are still considering whether or not to accept her, although she probably ought to wait a couple of hours after track goes live just in case there has been any delay in updating.

Hope this helps.
Good luck to your daughter. :smile:
unis get the results before result day so the firm will either accept or reject. if they reject it goes to insurance who will accept if their grades are reached. Just because grades do match an offer it does not mean your daughter will automatically be rejected by her firm choice. they have first refusal so to speak and sometimes accept a lower grade
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
unis get the results before result day so the firm will either accept or reject. if they reject it goes to insurance who will accept if their grades are reached. Just because grades do match an offer it does not mean your daughter will automatically be rejected by her firm choice. they have first refusal so to speak and sometimes accept a lower grade

Great, thanks.

She's applying to study Spanish and French, and already holds an A in Spanish and is very confident of an A in French this year, so we're hoping (yes I know it's not guaranteed) that if she got an AC this year, where the A was French and C was Religious Studies, they might let her in to her firm choice to do Spanish and French even though she didn't get BB, on the basis she holds As in the 2 subjects she intends to study.

(her RE teacher has told us she's heading for an A anyway, and we've got her a private tutor in RE from now till the exam, so hopefully my question is moot point and she gets at least BB no problems)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MoodyM
Great, thanks.

She's applying to study Spanish and French, and already holds an A in Spanish and is very confident of an A in French this year, so we're hoping (yes I know it's not guaranteed) that if she got an AC this year, where the A was French and C was Religious Studies, they might let her in to her firm choice to do Spanish and French even though she didn't get BB, in the basis she holds As in the 2 subjects she intends to study.

the uni might or might not accept her. Given the fact that she is taking languages and unis are struggling to fill their places I would suspect there is a good chance she will be accepted although no one can guarentee that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending