HoC rejects immunity for public officials who blow whistle on child sex abuse Watch

CharlieTT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/divisio...splay=allvotes

Conservatives:
  • For - 8
  • Against - 254
  • Absent - 40

Labour:
  • For - 208
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 48

Liberal-Democrats:
  • For - 3
  • Against - 40
  • Absent - 13

Green:
  • For - 1
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 0

UKIP:
  • For - 2
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 0

SNP:
  • For - 4
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 2

Plaid Cymru:
  • For - 2
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 1

DUP:
  • For - 4
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 4

Sinn Fein:
  • For - 0
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 5

SDLP:
  • For - 2
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 1

Respect:
  • For - 0
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 1

Alliance:
  • For - 0
  • Against - 0
  • Absent - 1

Independent:
  • For - 0
  • Against - 1 (Portsmouth South)
  • Absent - 4
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is what the government actually said.

As we know, the Official Secrets Act is intended to protect certain classes of particularly sensitive information such as security and intelligence matters, and it provides for a number of offences that prevent current or former Crown servants or Government contractors from disclosing certain information without lawful authority. It does not prevent protected information from being disclosed to an officer of an official investigation or inquiry into historical child abuse. In particular, information may be disclosed where the disclosure is made in accordance with that person’s official duty or is otherwise authorised. Departments and Ministers can permit current and former civil servants and Government contractors to share knowledge and documentation with an inquiry. As my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary made clear in her statement to this House on 4 February, official authorisation would be given for the Goddard inquiry.

On the historical institutional abuse inquiry in Northern Island, the Attorney-General has already made a public undertaking that no evidence given by a person to the inquiry will be used as evidence against them in any criminal proceeding, including any offence under the Official Secrets Act. Indeed, the Attorney-General would be ready to consider any similar request from Justice Goddard if one were made. I assure the hon. Member for Bassetlaw that the Government are committed to assisting Justice Goddard’s inquiry and all other inquiries into child abuse. We are satisfied that the Official Secrets Act is not, will not, and should not be a bar to evidence being provided, but I am grateful to him for raising that important issue.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why did they say on PMQs people will NOT be prosecuted ?

i don't get it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (64)
59.26%
Yes- I don't like it (5)
4.63%
No- I want it (32)
29.63%
No- I don't want it (7)
6.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise