The Student Room Group

Differentiation help

Hi all. Quick maths question im totally stumped on.

So the question is, use differentiation to find the stationary points of the following function and establish the nature of each point.
y=3x3-6x+5.

So what ive got written down is,
y' gives the 2 x coords, put what x equals back in to find what y is, use y'' to find min and max.

But for the life of me I just cant get it. What ive managed to do so far is differentiate to be left with y' = 9x2-6. y'' = 18x. Also I THINK x = 0.82, but this may not be correct. Does anyone have any points to help me unstick myself?
Reply 1
Original post by happynova
Hi all. Quick maths question im totally stumped on.

So the question is, use differentiation to find the stationary points of the following function and establish the nature of each point.
y=3x3-6x+5.

So what ive got written down is,
y' gives the 2 x coords, put what x equals back in to find what y is, use y'' to find min and max.

But for the life of me I just cant get it. What ive managed to do so far is differentiate to be left with y' = 9x2-6. y'' = 18x. Also I THINK x = 0.82, but this may not be correct. Does anyone have any points to help me unstick myself?

Stationary points are where y' = 0. So solve this to get values of x. I would leave the answers as exact quantities or surds unless you are asked for decimal values!

Then put the value of x in to y'' to determine the nature of the stationary points.

y'' > 0 -> minimum
y'' < 0 -> maximum
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Stationary points are where y' = 0. So solve this to get values of x. I would leave the answers as exact quantities or surds unless you are asked for decimal values!

Then put the value of x in to y'' to determine the nature of the stationary points.

y'' > 0 -> minimum
y'' < 0 -> maximum

Ok so I work out that x = 0.82. Does this mean that when x = 0.82 y is 0?

Based on that finding then y'' would be 14.76. So it would be its minimum. But I still dont understand what im doing....

Based on that finding then y'' would be 14.76. So it would be its minimum. But I still dont understand what im doing....

Note when you solved:

9x26=09x^2-6=0

0.82 (or rather, 62\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} (keep it exact!), --- this is only one of the solutions!

But with regards to your first solution (0.82) you have shown that when x=0.82, the rate of change, that is, the gradient of the graph is 0. That is the graph is parallel to the x axis when x=0.82.
Reply 4
Original post by SamKeene
Note when you solved:

9x26=09x^2-6=0

0.82 (or rather, 62\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} (keep it exact!), --- this is only one of the solutions!

But with regards to your first solution (0.82) you have shown that when x=0.82, the rate of change, that is, the gradient of the graph is 0. That is the graph is parallel to the x axis when x=0.82.

I ended up with sqrt of 6/9 = 0.82. Have I got that wrong?

Ok so, when x=0.82 thats when the gradient is 0? So the line on the graph is now no longer going up or down?

From watching a bunch of videos online I think I need to factorise
To the (x )(x ) form and use them values plugged into the equation. Am I on the right path?
Reply 5

Solving the y=0y'=0 equation you will get

9x26=0x2=239x^2-6=0 \rightarrow x^2=\frac{2}{3}

Taking square root of both side you will get two roots

x=23\displaystyle |x|=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}

that is x1=+0.82 and x2=-0.82 are the solutions

So when x=0,82 then y'=0 and not y=0

y"(0.82)=14.74 >0 implies that the original function has minimum at x=0.82
But the value of minimum is not 14.74
Value of the minimum is the value of the original function at x=0.82 that is f(0.82)
I ended up with sqrt of 6/9 = 0.82. Have I got that wrong?

Ok so, when x=0.82 thats when the gradient is 0? So the line on the graph is now no longer going up or down?

From watching a bunch of videos online I think I need to factorise
To the (x )(x ) form and use them values plugged into the equation. Am I on the right path?

remember when you have x2=1x^2=1, then x=±1x=\pm 1 not just 1. Same principle applies here. You got the correct positive solution, you're missing the negative one.

Yup, this is true.

plugged into the equation. Am I on the right path?

You've identified the x-cordinates of the stationary points. To get the y co-ordinate you sub the values of x into the original equation yy, to get the nature (max or min) you sub them into yy''
Reply 7
remember when you have x2=1x^2=1, then x=±1x=\pm 1 not just 1. Same principle applies here. You got the correct positive solution, you're missing the negative one.

Yup, this is true.

You've identified the x-cordinates of the stationary points. To get the y co-ordinate you sub the values of x into the original equation yy, to get the nature (max or min) you sub them into yy''

Ok im starting to follow. I still quite unsure of how I have more than one value of x. To me x = 0.82. So subbing that into the original equation gives me 1.73.
Would I then just use -0.82 for the other solution?
Reply 8
Ok im starting to follow. I still quite unsure of how I have more than one value of x. To me x = 0.82. So subbing that into the original equation gives me 1.73.
Would I then just use -0.82 for the other solution?

When you solve a quadratic equation like 9x26=09x^2 - 6 = 0, you will (typically) expect to get 2 solutions. In this case you're looking for two numbers that give 6/9 (or 2/3) when squared. Can you see what the other number is going to be?
Reply 9
Original post by davros
When you solve a quadratic equation like 9x26=09x^2 - 6 = 0, you will (typically) expect to get 2 solutions. In this case you're looking for two numbers that give 6/9 (or 2/3) when squared. Can you see what the other number is going to be?

-0.82?

Otherwise ive got no idea at all!!
-0.82?

Otherwise ive got no idea at all!!

Yes that's correct. Do you understand why?
Reply 11
Yes that's correct. Do you understand why?

Nope I dont, I can understand how it can be 0.82, but not -.82.

So once I have these numbers I need to plug them back into the equation and thatll give me the y coords?

So now ill have both sets of x and y coords. I then get y'', and plug both x values into that to determine the min and max, does this sound right?
Reply 12

When x2=0.67 x^2 =0.67 then taking the root

x2=x\sqrt{x^2}=|x| and 0.67=0.82\sqrt{0.67}=0.82 by definition of the square root.

So x=0.82|x|=0.82 means 2 solutions for x. When x=0.82 and x=-0.82

So once I have these numbers I need to plug them back into the equation and thatll give me the y coords?

These x values give that where are the stationary points of the function along the axis x.

Yes, plug them into the original equation, These will be the values of the stationary

So now ill have both sets of x and y coords. I then get y'', and plug both x values into that to determine the min and max, does this sound right?

Yes. These values (>0 or <0) give the type of the stationary points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

Do you understand why, if you were solving x2=4x^2 = 4 then you could have x = 2 or x = -2? It's exactly the same reason.
Reply 14

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3173187

Quick Reply

Latest