luuucyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This may be really simple to some people but I'm struggling SO MUCH

Had a whole bunch of competency interviews and I've made a point of using relevant examples, STAR, being clear and concise etc but every time I flunk them! Motivation questions and everything else I'm fine at but for some reason I just can't crack competency ones?!

Any tips? I thought maybe it was key words I was missing out? I have no idea and I'm going to go nuts very soon...

Please help a desperate job seeker hahaha
Mike the MOG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by luuucyx)
This may be really simple to some people but I'm struggling SO MUCH

Had a whole bunch of competency interviews and I've made a point of using relevant examples, STAR, being clear and concise etc but every time I flunk them! Motivation questions and everything else I'm fine at but for some reason I just can't crack competency ones?!

Any tips? I thought maybe it was key words I was missing out? I have no idea and I'm going to go nuts very soon...

Please help a desperate job seeker hahaha
It's hard to say without knowing what industry you're looking at. In general employers look for people that understand the job/industry and are going to take actions that are appropriate for the situation. Taking a cautious approach in something like sales isn't generally a good idea but on the other hand going on full tilt and upsetting a potential customer doesn't work either.

Give me some context & examples and I might be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
luuucyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mike the MOG)
It's hard to say without knowing what industry you're looking at. In general employers look for people that understand the job/industry and are going to take actions that are appropriate for the situation. Taking a cautious approach in something like sales isn't generally a good idea but on the other hand going on full tilt and upsetting a potential customer doesn't work either.

Give me some context & examples and I might be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok so an example from procurement - whens a time youve had a challenge as part fo a team where you nearly missed your deadline? did you solve the issue and how? did you meet your deadline

my example was true and i swear i answered it as well as i could talking about how i worked with the team, the issue was a venue for a ball dropping out etc and like how we solved the problem

stressing me out because i cant see where im falling down on them from that?
Mike the MOG
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ok so an example from procurement - whens a time youve had a challenge as part fo a team where you nearly missed your deadline? did you solve the issue and how? did you meet your deadline

my example was true and i swear i answered it as well as i could talking about how i worked with the team, the issue was a venue for a ball dropping out etc and like how we solved the problem

stressing me out because i cant see where im falling down on them from that?
Ok deadlines are a good example. School teaches you that you have to hit deadlines. In business it's more about managing expectations. Ultimately it's a communications question. Do you keep quiet and hope you meet the deadline or are you proactive in your communication and manage the expectations of those involved so they can replan if required? It's also a negotiation question to some extent. Can you find a solution that suits everyone? I think you might have been focusing on that part and how you powered through rather than the communications side of things

Posted from TSR Mobile
luuucyx
Rep:
?
Ok deadlines are a good example. School teaches you that you have to hit deadlines. In business it's more about managing expectations. Ultimately it's a communications question. Do you keep quiet and hope you meet the deadline or are you proactive in your communication and manage the expectations of those involved so they can replan if required? It's also a negotiation question to some extent. Can you find a solution that suits everyone? I think you might have been focusing on that part and how you powered through rather than the communications side of things

Posted from TSR Mobile
but the thing is that was a 'teamwork' one so i made sure i emphasised that i was working towards a common goal etc etc. i guess i didnt say anything about communications properly but i mainly didnt because they said it was teamwork...
luuucyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Have you got feedback from these interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ive asked for it from one which i havent got yet and the other one said they couldnt give it cos it was only telephone interview
Mike the MOG
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
but the thing is that was a 'teamwork' one so i made sure i emphasised that i was working towards a common goal etc etc. i guess i didnt say anything about communications properly but i mainly didnt because they said it was teamwork...
It still all boils down to communication. You had a deadline looming, (how) did you make sure everyone understood there was a deadline? How did you make sure different people weren't wasting time doing the same thing? How did you make sure people were available to work late/weekends to achieve the deadline? How did you ensure people understood how important the deadline was?

The answer to every question was...

Communication

If you want a buzzword for the next interview, go with that. I've been on both sides of interviews during my career (I'm 35 and just about to retrain as a physio having spent the last ten years in a number of technical and management roles in financial services) and one way or another it's in the answer to pretty much every competency question in business interviews.

Throw in a bit of managing expectations, time management, delegation and work life balance and you'll be golden

Posted from TSR Mobile
luuucyx
Rep:
?
It still all boils down to communication. You had a deadline looming, (how) did you make sure everyone understood there was a deadline? How did you make sure different people weren't wasting time doing the same thing? How did you make sure people were available to work late/weekends to achieve the deadline? How did you ensure people understood how important the deadline was?

The answer to every question was...

Communication

If you want a buzzword for the next interview, go with that. I've been on both sides of interviews during my career (I'm 35 and just about to retrain as a physio having spent the last ten years in a number of technical and management roles in financial services) and one way or another it's in the answer to pretty much every competency question in business interviews.

Throw in a bit of managing expectations, time management, delegation and work life balance and you'll be golden

Posted from TSR Mobile
ooooo.. okay i see what you mean yeah, my plan is to write down some model answers and just mix them up a bit.. hopefully itll work out!
thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (801)
42.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed