Moonie96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How do you know how many different environments are in an organic molecule ? For example do the carbons have to have the same number of bonds to the exact same atoms/functional groups to be classed as one environment?

I'm trying to explain the number of peaks that there will be on C-13 NMR spectra for different molecules
GDN
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Moonie96)
How do you know how many different environments are in an organic molecule ? For example do the carbons have to have the same number of bonds to the exact same atoms/functional groups to be classed as one environment?

I'm trying to explain the number of peaks that there will be on C-13 NMR spectra for different molecules
Imagine sitting on carbon atoms on a giant molecule - for 2 carbons to be in the same environment the view must be exactly the same (or at least the sequence of connections)
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In order for two carbons to be equivalent, they need to be chemically equivalent, that is, these two carbons will react in exactly the same way. Another way to visualise if two carbons are equivalent is to try and find lines of symmetry in the molecule. For example, propane has one line of symmetry which is orthogonal to the line connecting both end carbons. C1-C2-C1. The line of symmetry passes vertically through C2 and so there are two environments; C2 and C1. Now imagine Benzene. There are 3 lines of symmetry, these lines connect opposite carbons in the ring. Hence there are 2 equivalent carbons. Symmetry may not be the best way for you, but it is certainly another way of looking at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads