capnUSA
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I've got a sheet with a gazillion questions and these are like the 4 main questions I don't understand,

why don't normal cells form tumours?
Why does the cell become cancerous?
What is a tumour?
What is metasis?

Can someone help me please? I'd appreciate it a lot,
thank you
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by capnUSA)
Hello, I've got a sheet with a gazillion questions and these are like the 4 main questions I don't understand,

why don't normal cells form tumours?
Why does the cell become cancerous?
What is a tumour?
What is metasis?

Can someone help me please? I'd appreciate it a lot,
thank you
1. Normal cells don't form tumours because their growth and division is tightly controlled in the cell cycle. They only reproduce when they are needed and at certain points in the cell cycle, they reach check points to ensure the cell is dividing as it should - for example, one check point ensures that the chromosomes are correctly aligned so that the correct number of chromosomes are in each cell.

2. These checkpoints don't occur in cancerous cells since mutations in the DNA affect proteins which control these checkpoints and allow the cell to divide uncontrollably.

3. A tumour is an uncontrolled mass of dividing cells. A tumour can be benign meaning that it is confined to one part of the body and remains as part of the tissue it originated from. A tumour is considered cancer until it becomes malignant, i.e. it begins to invade the surrounding tissues or metastasises.

4. Metastasis is when parts of the tumour break off and enter the circulation or lymphatic system and spreads around the body. It then comes to rest at a secondary site where oncogenesis (literally 'creation of cancer') can continue and a secondary tumour can form. Common sites for metastases to occur are the bone, liver and lung as well as the lymph nodes.
capnUSA
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
thank you so so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
19.45%
Labour (423)
50.78%
Liberal Democrats (113)
13.57%
Green Party (46)
5.52%
Brexit Party (12)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.68%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)