What is wrong with these guardian uni rankings?? Watch

Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/education...le-for-physics

Heriott-watt and hertfordshire higher than imperial?

Someone enlighten me

You need BBB to get into heriot watt for physics ..
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It has huge reporting bias and is reliant on pointless categories
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Student polls are rigged anyway...
earthworm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got sent my rating survey to my uni email address after I graduated and had stopped using that email account. Not surprisingly my course did pretty badly. Lots if f these ratings are just about getting your students to do the survey. I would go on research rankings, especially for STEM
Exon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apparently Cambridge doesn't even make the top 50 :flute:

League tables are a bit iffy in principle but out of all of them, the Guardian ones are notorious for being a load of crap.
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on what categories are important to you (G.Newspaper uses different measurements to The Comp) , all the Unis u would expect are around the top. Personally I was more interested in a uni I would enjoy and have a decent chance of a first at, rather than there research factory credentials.
Patrick2810
Rep:
?
(Original post by dyslexicvegie)
It depends on what categories are important to you (G.Newspaper uses different measurements to The Comp) , all the Unis u would expect are around the top. Personally I was more interested in a uni I would enjoy and have a decent chance of a first at, rather than there research factory credentials.
What sort of sites did you use to decide then ?
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Patrick2810)
What sort of sites did you use to decide then ?
WhichUni (as league tables are not everything, this site provides lotts of useful info about: the course set up, how u are examined, practical stuff about weather the Uni shop is good value for money or how often the buses run etc)

Uni stats

Relevant threads on TSR

THE - Times Higher Education - Student Experience Guide ( u can download it as a pdf)

I found the Guardian one as helpful as The Complete Uni Guide. Different Uni's have different strengths so do pay particular attention to the details e.g a Uni ranks 6th coz it has a good research assessment but the student satisfaction is lower than all the other Unis in the top 20.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Someone enlighten me

Look at the methodologies. These rankings are very undergraduate-centric. The emphasis is on satisfaction-based criteria, like spend per student and student satisfaction. These are very important categories and to be perfectly honest, as an undergraduate, they'll probably affect most people more than the university's reputation or research output. As you will see, Hertfordshire and Heriot-Watt do better than Imperial in practically all of the Guardian's criteria which is why it's ranked higher. If you don't think the Guardian's criteria are relevant to you then that's fine, don't use it, but it doesn't mean the table is useless or wrong.
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Someone enlighten me

Don't tell me you're mad over this?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's The Guardian, what do you expect?
CrapDunGoofed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
It's The Guardian, what do you expect?
Came in to post this.

The guardian is a piece of ****.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Exon)
Apparently Cambridge doesn't even make the top 50 :flute:

League tables are a bit iffy in principle but out of all of them, the Guardian ones are notorious for being a load of crap.
Note: Other providers that deliver courses in this subject area, but for whom there is insufficient data to calculate a ranking position, include Aberdeen, St Mary's UC, Twickenham, Northumbria and Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is that?

What criteria you used to decide which uni to go?
Patrick2810
Rep:
?
WhichUni (as league tables are not everything, this site provides lotts of useful info about: the course set up, how u are examined, practical stuff about weather the Uni shop is good value for money or how often the buses run etc)

Uni stats

Relevant threads on TSR

THE - Times Higher Education - Student Experience Guide ( u can download it as a pdf)

I found the Guardian one as helpful as The Complete Uni Guide. Different Uni's have different strengths so do pay particular attention to the details e.g a Uni ranks 6th coz it has a good research assessment but the student satisfaction is lower than all the other Unis in the top 20.
thanks
Patrick2810
Rep:
?
thanks guys, I didn't realise this was mainly to do with students satisfaction surveys !
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Note: Other providers that deliver courses in this subject area, but for whom there is insufficient data to calculate a ranking position, include Aberdeen, St Mary's UC, Twickenham, Northumbria and Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Why actually read the league table properly when you can just get angry and complain instead?
Blue_Mason
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CrapDunGoofed)
Came in to post this.

The guardian is a piece of ****.
I disagree.
And I hope other members if tsr share my views on the guardian.
LauraRMCF
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Mason)
I disagree.
And I hope other members if tsr share my views on the guardian.
It's one of the most respected newspapers...I don't know how it's a piece of crap.
CrapDunGoofed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LauraRMCF)
It's one of the most respected newspapers...I don't know how it's a piece of crap.
It's a load of bullocks. They were all over Je suis Charlie insisting freedom of speech is fundamental to western civilisation, but when you post any comments on their website that doesn't fit in with their communist agenda, they ban you from the website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed