Upseedasy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
First of all,this isn't really about GCSE,but,i'm wondering if a level 7; 7B to be exact, is a good level for a year 9.What would i need to do to get a level 8 or when i enter KS4 to get an A/A*?
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't really convert levels into grades.

7B is a good level to be at in Y9, and will help you get into good sets at GCSE. I don't really know what you have to do for a level 8 - KS3 was completely wasted on me and got 6A English, 7B Science and 8B Maths.

To get an A/A* you just need to revise and really know how to answer the questions properly to collect a large number of marks.

NC Level -> GCSE Equivalent
Level 4 - F
Level 5 - E
Level 6 - D
Level 7 - C
Level 8 - B

NC Level -> First GCSE Prediction (this will change once into Y10 because of mocks/coursework/teacher opinion)
Level 4 - D/E/F
Level 5 - C/D
Level 6 - B/C
Level 7 - A
Level 8 - A*

However when you are in Y10, your predicted grades will only be VERY SLIGHTLY based off these. They will mainly focus on current achievement in your mocks, past papers, topic tests, coursework, classwork quality and general attitude to learning. Once halfway through Y10, your Y9 levels will have no relevance to your predicted grades.
mdhnf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
looking back at year nine i dont remember much just exams after exams. Your grades are really good, however they dont do much when you enter year 10/ks4. Level 7 is about a c which is a really good foundation to start on. Dont listen to parents who tell you your starting grades are bad, you have to start from somewhere and its not going to happen overnight. You seem to have a good attitude to learning, keep it up and stay ontop of work.
from stupid year 11 student who is suffocating in school x
Upseedasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
You can't really convert levels into grades.

7B is a good level to be at in Y9, and will help you get into good sets at GCSE. I don't really know what you have to do for a level 8 - KS3 was completely wasted on me and got 6A English, 7B Science and 8B Maths.

To get an A/A* you just need to revise and really know how to answer the questions properly to collect a large number of marks.

NC Level -> GCSE Equivalent
Level 4 - F
Level 5 - E
Level 6 - D
Level 7 - C
Level 8 - B

NC Level -> First GCSE Prediction (this will change once into Y10 because of mocks/coursework/teacher opinion)
Level 4 - D/E/F
Level 5 - C/D
Level 6 - B/C
Level 7 - A
Level 8 - A*

However when you are in Y10, your predicted grades will only be VERY SLIGHTLY based off these. They will mainly focus on current achievement in your mocks, past papers, topic tests, coursework, classwork quality and general attitude to learning. Once halfway through Y10, your Y9 levels will have no relevance to your predicted grades.

If you were a level 6A in English at the end of KS3. How are you performing now?
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
7B is a very good place to be in Year 9 I got 8/7/7 in my SATs in Year 9.

Just put a bit more work in and you should be fine.
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Upseedasy)
If you were a level 6A in English at the end of KS3. How are you performing now?
I got an A* in my final mock and an A overall on my coursework. So I'm somewhere between an A*/A! It shows how you can't really predict GCSE grades from NC levels.

For English Lit I'm on track to get an A*!

Only a month or two until the exams...
Upseedasy
Rep:
?
I got an A* in my final mock and an A overall on my coursework. So I'm somewhere between an A*/A! It shows how you can't really predict GCSE grades from NC levels.

Good luck!
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First of all,this isn't really about GCSE,but,i'm wondering if a level 7; 7B to be exact, is a good level for a year 9.What would i need to do to get a level 8 or when i enter KS4 to get an A/A*?
You can't really compare the two.

For example, I think I got a 4a in English in year 9. I then went on to get an A in GCSE English Language the year after.

But then my Maths grade was more in line with what you'd expect (8a - A*).
Upseedasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by brittanna)
You can't really compare the two.

For example, I think I got a 4a in English in year 9. I then went on to get an A in GCSE English Language the year after.

But then my Maths grade was more in line with what you'd expect (8a - A*).
What would you expect or predict a person working at a level 6/7 in Maths and Science to get in their GCSEs.
I did a mock P1 test and got an A1 (maybe an A*3 getting my teacher to remark it.)

And do you have any knowledge on languages.
For example a level 6 in French into a GCSE grade?
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What would you expect or predict a person working at a level 6/7 in Maths and Science to get in their GCSEs.
I did a mock P1 test and got an A1 (maybe an A*3 getting my teacher to remark it.)

Levels for languages is REALLY difficult to predict into a GCSE grade.

There are more components and is much harder than KS3 stuff - so they will just base it off your FFT for the time being...
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I guess my initial guess would be somewhere around a B. But as I said before, it's very possible to do much better or much worse than that.

I don't know what that grading system is, sorry . And no, I haven't done any languages since year 9, so I can't really help there.
Upseedasy
Rep:
?
Levels for languages is REALLY difficult to predict into a GCSE grade.

There are more components and is much harder than KS3 stuff - so they will just base it off your FFT for the time being...
FFT?
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FFT?
Some pointless prediction based on socioeconomic factors and your Y6 SATs.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Firstly, the reforms will mean that you'll get a numerical grade as opposed to a letter at GCSE.

Regardless though, none of us can really predict what you will get simply because it's a bit too early right now to say. They can't really be made equivalent to GCSE grades.
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FFT?
I think these are the government predictions based on your KS2 or KS3 levels.
username1646063
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I use to get nothing higher than a level five but managed to get GCSEs all Cs.. remember level 5 is a grade E.. so if I can push from a grade e to a C certainly u from a grade c could manage to get grade A.. it's all about motivation. . And how well you remember things
Upseedasy
Rep:
?

How did your GCSE's go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise