Upseedasy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If i want to become an author,which of the two should i choose to study?
TIS200
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently studying them for GCSE so I'm not too clued up on it! I would say though, for English Language, it would be story making and that kind of thing (that's what non-fiction authors would probably use) and English Literature would be close-reading texts and explaining texts (Shakespeare etc). That's what I've been studying so far (since Christmas when I started them)

I would take both if possible, but English Language if you had to choose one or t'other.
careyboyle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm studying both Language and Literature (separate courses) at A Level as I'm wanting to do an English Lit degree. Due to the impending stress and worry of exams that are only a couple of weeks away, I'd seriously recommend only taking ONE (either Lang OR lit) purely because of the work load - thats my opinion, anyway.

I love English Literature! I'm currently studying Gatsby, 3 poems by Keats and Enduring Love. However, I got an A in Language at GCSE and a B in Literature, so naturally I favoured the language course because I wrongly presumed I was good at it.

English Language is mainly based around speech - why do people say things? what do these utterances mean? We study Language and Power (basically analysing transcripts based on how power is exerted through the persuasive purpose) and Language and Gender (stereotypes of male and female speech SO MUCH THEORY!). I prefer power as the amount of theory you have to apply to gender is actually sickening.

Then you have to focus on categorising texts, which you have to apply language frameworks to in order to deduct groupings.

Personally, I'd recommend Literature as it gives you room to research different genres of Literature which will expand your knowledge of literary technique and you will grow to love literature, I thought I would hate poetry but I absolutely love Keats!

(Original post by TIS200)
I'm currently studying them for GCSE so I'm not too clued up on it! I would say though, for English Language, it would be story making and that kind of thing (that's what non-fiction authors would probably use) and English Literature would be close-reading texts and explaining texts (Shakespeare etc). That's what I've been studying so far (since Christmas when I started them)

I would take both if possible, but English Language if you had to choose one or t'other.
Actually, the creative writing side only comes under the coursework section of English Language! You get to make two pieces of coursework for your portfolio - I created a monologue from the Great Gatsby and a rant on swearing.

Hope I've helped!
TIS200
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks @careyboyle.
My English teacher said something about when we sit our GCSE exams in 2017, there will be NO coursework it will just be 2 exams for English Lit and two exams for English lang, with unseen questions so like no preparation.
To be honest, I'd like it like that and not at the same time. I'd like it so that if you're not so good at homework and creativity like I am then you will excel at the exam, but if you do rubbish on the exam then you will fail. They are also scrapping SPEAKING & Listening which I am happy about.
mario2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
mods are ****
Upseedasy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by careyboyle)
I'm studying both Language and Literature (separate courses) at A Level as I'm wanting to do an English Lit degree. Due to the impending stress and worry of exams that are only a couple of weeks away, I'd seriously recommend only taking ONE (either Lang OR lit) purely because of the work load - thats my opinion, anyway.

I love English Literature! I'm currently studying Gatsby, 3 poems by Keats and Enduring Love. However, I got an A in Language at GCSE and a B in Literature, so naturally I favoured the language course because I wrongly presumed I was good at it.

English Language is mainly based around speech - why do people say things? what do these utterances mean? We study Language and Power (basically analysing transcripts based on how power is exerted through the persuasive purpose) and Language and Gender (stereotypes of male and female speech SO MUCH THEORY!). I prefer power as the amount of theory you have to apply to gender is actually sickening.

Then you have to focus on categorising texts, which you have to apply language frameworks to in order to deduct groupings.

Personally, I'd recommend Literature as it gives you room to research different genres of Literature which will expand your knowledge of literary technique and you will grow to love literature, I thought I would hate poetry but I absolutely love Keats!

Actually, the creative writing side only comes under the coursework section of English Language! You get to make two pieces of coursework for your portfolio - I created a monologue from the Great Gatsby and a rant on swearing.

Hope I've helped!
What do you do in Literature?
Is it mainly critical analysis and heavily based on literary theories.
careyboyle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TIS200)
Thanks @careyboyle.
My English teacher said something about when we sit our GCSE exams in 2017, there will be NO coursework it will just be 2 exams for English Lit and two exams for English lang, with unseen questions so like no preparation.
To be honest, I'd like it like that and not at the same time. I'd like it so that if you're not so good at homework and creativity like I am then you will excel at the exam, but if you do rubbish on the exam then you will fail. They are also scrapping SPEAKING & Listening which I am happy about.
It's unseen questions for language now, which is a right pain!

(Original post by Upseedasy)
What do you do in Literature?
Is it mainly critical analysis and heavily based on literary theories.
You get two questions in the exam, either:

1 ) How does FITZGERALD or KEATS or McEwan (dependant on the texts you're studying) tell the story in Chapter _ (specified chapter of the novel) and by this question, you have to explain why the authors use the narrative techniques to tell the story - basically focusing on setting, characterisation and symbolism as well as form. Once you get the structure right it gets easy, but I found it tricky at first! I literally sat for 3 hours yesterday writing essays in order to practice my technique.

2 ) A theme question - e.g How far do you agree with the idea that Gatsby is a rags to riches story? OWN OPINION!

The only time in which literary theories come into play is in the coursework, which is based for us on The History Boys by Alan Bennet and The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare - and even then, it's not really about the theory! You get marked on your interpretation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise