Where did the Liberal (Democrats) go so wrong? Watch

TIS200
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been doing my 'homework' on politics and a pattern late 1800 to early 1900s was that it was very much the Tory party and the Liberal party (later liberal democrats in the 1980s) and just want to know where the party got so wrong?
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TIS200)
I've been doing my 'homework' on politics and a pattern late 1800 to early 1900s was that it was very much the Tory party and the Liberal party (later liberal democrats in the 1980s) and just want to know where the party got so wrong?
The Liberal party (which was known as representing the working classes) started to decline after their landslide in 1906 - largely because they split politically in WW1 and the Labour Party rose in prominence.

As for more recent times? They entered a coalition they weren't ready for IMO. They should've done nothing, had a re-election, lost seats and then tried again in May this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This chart from Wikipedia sums up what happened to the Liberal vote - the share of the Conservative vote was not really altered much by the arrival of Labour, but Labour took votes from the Liberals. This was also a reason why the Conservatives dominated most of the 20th century: the non-Tory vote was split and that gave them a big advantage in winning elections.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.32%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.13%
Not great so far... (256)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.74%

Watched Threads