Focus on current AS levels or not? Watch

Fortitude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

A friend is in a tricky situation atm, she is currently doing her AS levels however, she no longer wants to stay on at her current college due to several reasons. She wants to start over again and apply to a different college and choose different A-levels (except 1 AS which she says she still wants to start again even though she's currently doing well in it).

But anyway, for the rest of her current AS levels, would it still be better to work hard or not seeing as she'll be starting again in Sep? Also just need to add that even if she works hard, as most of them are coursework based, the grade she'll most likely receive won't be high anyway.
Sky.high
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fortitude)
Hi all,

A friend is in a tricky situation atm, she is currently doing her AS levels however, she no longer wants to stay on at her current college due to several reasons. She wants to start over again and apply to a different college and choose different A-levels (except 1 AS which she says she still wants to start again even though she's currently doing well in it).

But anyway, for the rest of her current AS levels, would it still be better to work hard or not seeing as she'll be starting again in Sep? Also just need to add that even if she works hard, as most of them are coursework based, the grade she'll most likely receive won't be high anyway.
Her better choices are either withdraw from the exams or work hard, as all bad AS grades(except U) are needed to be entered onto the UCAS form according to a TSR thread.
I don't know if she's in the year of A-Level reform tho, if so I'm so sure if she'd need to fill that onto UCAS.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fortitude)
Hi all,

Does she know what exam board the new college does for the AS that she's doing well in? If they're the same or can be proved to be similar, and if she's happy with her AS result in it then she can move on to A2 if she wants.

Though I think you need to be doing 3 subjects at a college to be considered as a full time student. If her new A-levels, bar the current AS, are 3 A levels that she needs to take to A2 for her career path, then I would suggest doing the AS this year and doing the A2 next year with the college, so it gives her more time to focus on the other 3 A-levels.

If however she only does 2 other A-levels then I would suggest restarting, or taking up an AS in Year 13 which she may or may not be interested in.

So yes, with all that in mind, I would suggest doing at least the AS she's happy with.

As for the other subjects... well, if she can still scrape a C/D it's still something, and not too bad a grade anyway. As the above poster said the fact that she has to declare all of her grades is something she may wish to think about, and definitely do some looking into what course she wants to do at university and what subjects she needs to be doing, unless she's figured that out and so has already chosen the appropriate A-levels.

Good luck to her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads