Chellecharity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I got relatively mediocre GCSEs

2a*'s and 6a's coming from a state school and im predicted AABB at AS. Im worried as to whether this is enough to be able to consider me to a top end uni?

My goal is Durham or Warwick to study engineering plus I've got a hell of alot of experiance/supercurriculuar e.g Headstart,research placements, 4 diff. university residential STEM trips...
Hayley Williams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chellecharity)

2a*'s and 6a's coming from a state school and im predicted AABB at AS. Im worried as to whether this is enough to be able to consider me to a top end uni?

My goal is Durham or Warwick to study engineering plus I've got a hell of alot of experiance/supercurriculuar e.g Headstart,research placements, 4 diff. university residential STEM trips...
Engineering is a very competitive course and you will want to get at least 3 A's at AS to be competitive for that course at Durham/Warwick. You have lots of experience which will set you apart and look good but nothing can make up for grades. I would still apply with AABB but it will be quite difficult to get he grades to get in if you can't get at least 3 A's at AS. What are you taking?
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hayley Williams)
Engineering is a very competitive course and you will want to get at least 3 A's at AS to be competitive for that course at Durham/Warwick. You have lots of experience which will set you apart and look good but nothing can make up for grades. I would still apply with AABB but it will be quite difficult to get he grades to get in if you can't get at least 3 A's at AS. What are you taking?

Ahh i see. Maths, further maths, chemistry & physics
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
(Original post by mario2)
mods are idiots
pardon?
Hayley Williams
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh i see. Maths, further maths, chemistry & physics
I would say getting the 2A's in maths and physics would set you in good stead. How did your mocks go? :eek:
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
I would say getting the 2A's in maths and physics would set you in good stead. How did your mocks go? :eek:
I did terribly which clearly showed my lack of revision of xmas. BBBC
However I did quite my job which has helped alot of balancing my time.

My predicted A's are in physics and Maths which is promising
User1443542
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I applied to Warwick, with worse GCSE results, having messed up my AS's and was still offered a place. I got B in A2 maths, A in physics and a C in chem. I am predicted A*AB, and applied for the masters course. I rejected the place, but I think with AABB, you're fine
fajitamunch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'SUPER'curriculuar
Elaborate....
Hayley Williams
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did terribly which clearly showed my lack of revision of xmas. BBBC
However I did quite my job which has helped alot of balancing my time.

My predicted A's are in physics and Maths which is promising
Thats a good move, jobs really do reduce your grades that extra bit of money isn't worth getting into a crap uni or not into one at all Hope you do well
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
(Original post by devangdave)
I applied to Warwick, with worse GCSE results, having messed up my AS's and was still offered a place. I got B in A2 maths, A in physics and a C in chem. I am predicted A*AB, and applied for the masters course. I rejected the place, but I think with AABB, you're fine
oh wow, thats reassuring. were you predicted to get A*AB and didn't achieve it or?
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
(Original post by fajitamunch)
Elaborate....
Extracurricular which is directly linked to the subject that you want to study.
User1443542
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh wow, thats reassuring. were you predicted to get A*AB and didn't achieve it or?
I'm predicted it, most probably will get A*AA, or A*A*B, but decided I preferred Exeter over Warwick, as my brother's at Warwick
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
Thats a good move, jobs really do reduce your grades that extra bit of money isn't worth getting into a crap uni or not into one at all Hope you do well
thankyouu!!
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ignoring the fact that some students NEED to work alongside their studies, the longer you have out of work, the harder it is to find work. Companies would rather take on an inexperienced 16 year old than an inexperienced 20 year old because they can pay them less.
Blue Butterfly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did you find the Headstart courses? Did you find them useful?
studentLynch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

take a year out then they don't even care about grades they only seem to care for school/coll leavers its odd
Chellecharity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tanzi_a)
How did you find the Headstart courses? Did you find them useful?
They were all right I guess. Being run by different companies, each one was different but focused on mainly the same things
Blue Butterfly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were all right I guess. Being run by different companies, each one was different but focused on mainly the same things
Thank you
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So long as you meet all started GCSE requirements then you won't have a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.71%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.74%
I don't think they'd understand (27)
18.12%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
36.91%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.52%

Watched Threads