FA's Greg Dyke announces plans to restrict non-EU players Watch

Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32024808

FA chairman Greg Dyke has warned Premier League football is in danger of "having nothing to do with English people" as new proposals to limit the number of non-EU players are outlined by English football's governing body.

The FA has also revealed plans to toughen the rules on home-grown talent in the latest proposals from its commission, which was set up in 2013 to improve the England team.

The commission has also proposed changes to work permit rules having highlighted flaws in the system.

The stricter work-permit rules, approved by the Home Office on Friday, will come into force from 1 May.

Under the proposals outlined by the FA on Monday:

- A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.
- The minimum number of home-grown players in a club's first-team squad of 25 will increase from eight to 12, phased over four years from 2016.
- At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.
- Only the best non-EU foreign players will be granted permission to play in England.
Really disappointed with these changes. The English mentality of dragging everyone down to a standard has infiltrated into football now.

Instead we'll get more and more below average English players on massively inflated wages (due to supply/demand vs. quality). Thereafter the standard of football on display will continue to drop across the leagues.

The fact remains that the population of the rest of the world is massive compared to the UK so you'll always have more talented non-British players compared to British players. However it ignores the fact that very few British people are willing to make the sacrifices to be a star player compared to their foreign counterparts.

Instead of addressing the fundamental issues such as declining numbers at grass root levels it's an attempt of a quick fix at the wrong point. They should be looking at why Spanish and German people play more in their numbers compared to the English, not having a late "fix" which won't help our national team. Instead we'll get a bigger pool of more crap players.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont see why they think this would work. England already has a fairly strict set of work permit guidelines for footballers already and there really isn't a culture of brining in young players from outside the EU here.

The change to homegrown player rules I doubt will make much of a difference and I fear will punish lower league clubs who are in areas of the country ( North West, London) that are dominated by larger teams.

Again it's the FA making.idiotic decisions to emulate others by doing exactly what those others didn't do.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
england will never be as good as other footballing nations, they just won't accept it. You got lucky in 69 or 67 or whenever it was.
England are an embarrassment on international level and did't they fall down in the in'tl FIFA rankings a few days ago.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The 12 HG players thing will never happen. Could you imagine the English player premium that would cause? It's bad enough already, it's one thing to see teenagers like Shaw and Sterling earning ridiculous amounts of money but under that ruling we'd be seeing 15 year olds going for £10m and £50k p/w just because they're English. It would lead to such a fall in quality that the Premier League wouldn't allow it.

The other 2 points I agree with. Club trained players is already a requirement in the Champions League.

(Original post by mojojojo101)
I dont see why they think this would work. England already has a fairly strict set of work permit guidelines for footballers already and there really isn't a culture of brining in young players from outside the EU here.
The bit about EU players is rather misleading. All they're doing is tightening things up so instead of the top 70 countries as it is now it'll be the top 50. Around that level you've got the footballing superpowers of Equitorial Guinea, Congo and Peru so it's really nothing to worry about, I don't think it will affect Premier League clubs at all. It's more designed to combat the hordes of average foreigners flooding in to the lower leagues (look at Watford for example)
PAFCStan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Silly quick fix that doesn't address any concerns as regards to football development in the country.

1) Most foreign players in the PL are from the EU. I know this can't be changed because of freedom of movement in the EU but that just shows what a useless policy it is.

2) It doesn't actually do anything to improve the quality of English players. It doesn't improve the quality of coaching. It doesn't guarantee young English players a first-team place. If anything, it will cause more English players' careers to stagnate as they're kept at clubs to stay within quotas.

3) It doesn't encourage young English players to move abroad to further their careers rather than take the easy move to lower-quality English teams. Tom Ince's football development and potential route into the England team would have been better served playing for Inter than it would for Derby on loan from Hull.

Most of Dyke's moves to 'improve the English national team' have been self-serving for big clubs. The majority of big clubs are, let's face it, crap at producing young players. Chelsea haven't had an academy product become a first team regular since John Terry in 1998. The way to improve the English national team (apart from appointing a more progressive manager) would be major FA investment in the Category 1 academies of clubs like Southampton, Everton, Middlesbrough, Crewe etc. The FA investment would provide money for better coaches and facilities. However, the investment is subject to enough players graduating onto the first-team: no investment goes to clubs like Chelsea that farm all their young players out on loan. English players should be encouraged to move abroad - I wouldn't have any problem with the FA going out to support a good young player who moves abroad to a top team settle, integrate, learn the language and provide them with their home comforts.

We won't become World Cup contenders by letting Premier League B teams play Morecambe on a wet Tuesday night in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Letting big clubs buy up all the talent at a young age won't help either. Banning non-EU players won't do anything.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
we'd be seeing 15 year olds going for £10m and £50k p/w just because they're English.
Pretty sure u16s aren't supposed to move home for solely football reasons and are only supposed to travel a certain distance to train. Unless that changes I fear smaller clubs are really going to struggle to pick up young players early enough, especially if they have a much bigger club nearby.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It simply won't happen. And nor should it.

In what other industry would these proposals be allowed?
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Concur with the posts above.

Short sighted and the PL will definitely oppose the move.

It is really a desperate attempt to paper over the cracks in a failing Youth System suffering from a lack of coaches and facilities.

It also ignores the obvious issue where the PL have failed to adequately invest in the system despite receiving record amounts each year.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
england will never be as good as other footballing nations, they just won't accept it. You got lucky in 69 or 67 or whenever it was.
England are an embarrassment on international level and did't they fall down in the in'tl FIFA rankings a few days ago.
There always needs to be one person that has to have an irrelevant anti-England ramble.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
There always needs to be one person that has to have an irrelevant anti-England ramble.
england bring it on themselves
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
england bring it on themselves
Bring what on?

The fact that they say they are going to lose World Cup and then they.....lose?
goobypls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How about they stop teaching kids how to play hoof ball.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bring what on?

The fact that they say they are going to lose World Cup and then they.....lose?
over-inflated wages for average players
over-hyping players e.g sterling, kane..you have the ****ing greg talking about 1 footballer...does that regularly happen?
not enough coaches at youth level
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
over-inflated wages for average players
over-hyping players e.g sterling, kane..you have the ****ing greg talking about 1 footballer...does that regularly happen?
not enough coaches at youth level
You mean Sterling...the player who was voted the Best Young Player in Europe by Sports Newspapers across Europe?

Or Kane ....the player who is the Premier League Joint Top scorer and hasn't played for England?

England isn't overhyping them. The awards and stats speak for themselevs
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You mean Sterling...the player who was voted the Best Young Player in Europe by Sports Newspapers across Europe?

Or Kane ....the player who is the Premier League Joint Top scorer and hasn't played for England?

England isn't overhyping them. The awards and stats speak for themselevs
sterling has dipped in form and plays ok in in'tl levels
kane hasn't played yet but when he does.just like most of your players on the big stage, he'll flop
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sterling has dipped in form and plays ok in in'tl levels
kane hasn't played yet but when he does.just like most of your players on the big stage, he'll flop
Every player "dips" in form. So that is an irrelevant point.

Kane is already on the "big" stage. He plays on it week in and week out.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bearing in mind Dyke will have to present this to the 20 PL clubs. I can't see many backing it.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Pretty sure u16s aren't supposed to move home for solely football reasons and are only supposed to travel a certain distance to train. Unless that changes I fear smaller clubs are really going to struggle to pick up young players early enough, especially if they have a much bigger club nearby.
You've got EPPP, I can't remember the specifics but it basically ****s over the smaller clubs without a cat 1 academy. Remember when Chelsea paid 5m for two 15 year olds from Leeds that turned out to be ****? Thats all a rule like this will accomplish.

Anyway yeh, the PL won't let this happen. Youth football needs to be completely overhauled rather than short term solutions like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Every player "dips" in form. So that is an irrelevant point.

Kane is already on the "big" stage. He plays on it week in and week out.
Haha PL? That's hardly a challenge considering he plays against the likes of QPR and Sunderland.
I want him to go abroad and prove himself there.
Pele made a great point saying english players don't go abroad to better themselves.
At least bale(who's Welsh lol) is doing alright but even he's struggling recently with form.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
Bearing in mind Dyke will have to present this to the 20 PL clubs. I can't see many backing it.
Might not be a bad ploy then. The PL clubs will hate it and in a compromise, Dyke may be able to extort more money from the PL clubs to invest into grass roots football?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed