colback98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently picking my as options. I have decided on maths geography and psychology, however I am struggling to pick my fourth subject. I've got it down to two: physics or philosophy. I would say. My interest in them both is roughly equal, but both have their complications.there is many unknows about philosophy, as it is a totally new subject. The results last year we very poor, nobody got an a or a b at as, this fills ma with huge doubts. Another doubt I have, and it doesn't sound like a good one, is that nobody I know is doing it next year, only new people, who I am not good with, I know this sounds petty but I wouldn't be comfortable or relaxed in the class. Physics however has many applicants and has obtained posotive results in the past. The big problem is, I asked my teacher the requirements, and he said a strong A* is recommended, I am confident in getting an a* but not with flying colours. In conc. I can't quite put my finger I don't like about philosophy but I can't be assured, whereas with physics as it is academic, I could always just learn the stuff, howver hard it gets, and philosophy is a bit different: you have to 'get it'. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. If anyone you have have done physics and/or philosophy then please let me know hat they are like. Solve my conundrum! Thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
zaynab93
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Easy physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Parallex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Physics is a very nice A level. Believe me.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by colback98)
QFA
Philosophy is an immensely difficult subject in terms of essays (much like English Literature at A Level), if you can actually achieve an A in A Level Philosophy you are extremely competent and bright. However, do not let that discourage you.

IMO the struggle with Philosophy is writing the essays. I only did college for 1 year, but all of my subjects were essay based and philosophy required radically more thought to go into it and you needed to structure your arguments very well. IIRC You actually lose marks in philosophy (have them deducted) for poor structure as opposed to simply not gaining a mark like other subjects.

I am going back to coll. this year to study philosophy again. It's an incredibly thoughtful subject and there were many fun debates in class etc. you should really consider philosophy, it's unfortunate how little people seem to care about it.
colback98
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Parallex)
Physics is a very nice A level. Believe me.
why?
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am currently picking my as options. I have decided on maths geography and psychology, however I am struggling to pick my fourth subject. I've got it down to two: physics or philosophy. I would say. My interest in them both is roughly equal, but both have their complications.there is many unknows about philosophy, as it is a totally new subject. The results last year we very poor, nobody got an a or a b at as, this fills ma with huge doubts. Another doubt I have, and it doesn't sound like a good one, is that nobody I know is doing it next year, only new people, who I am not good with, I know this sounds petty but I wouldn't be comfortable or relaxed in the class. Physics however has many applicants and has obtained posotive results in the past. The big problem is, I asked my teacher the requirements, and he said a strong A* is recommended, I am confident in getting an a* but not with flying colours. In conc. I can't quite put my finger I don't like about philosophy but I can't be assured, whereas with physics as it is academic, I could always just learn the stuff, howver hard it gets, and philosophy is a bit different: you have to 'get it'. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. If anyone you have have done physics and/or philosophy then please let me know hat they are like. Solve my conundrum! Thanks

Edit: I think you mean new subject as in new to you; so nevermind.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Philosophy at A-level and it was the hardest thing ever... I also did English Literature, History and English Language so I know how demanding essay subjects are, but Philosophy was the hardest. Also, I was new to History and Philosophy too - never studied them at GCSE so I was in for a shock. I did like Philosophy and still do! But yeah it was just a an absolute mind-****. I got 98/100 on my AS Philosophy paper and 86/100 on my Ethics which is A and B. I think it's defo something you should consider. Like we had really good teachers who explained it really well. But it is a hard subject. There's a ton you have to learn as well. If you're willing to work hard then you should defo go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
68.25%
No I haven't decided yet (24)
19.05%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.7%

Watched Threads